Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Focal length preview tool app as composition aid?

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Re: Focal length preview tool app as composition aid?

For the past several years I have been carrying a Linhof Universal lens finder which accurately gives the FOV for 4x5 lens from 90mm to 360mm and it's easy to translate to the particular camera format. For example the 240mm setting on the finder is equivalent to 80mm on 35mm, 165mm on 6x7, 240mm of course on 4x5, and 480mm on 8x10. The only drawback is its weight and bulk - especially the latter.

However the other day while getting some Nielsen Frames at a local art store I picked this up: http://www.colorwheelco.com/viewcatcher/ . I haven't been out with it yet but if I can get this to work it will solve the bulk and weight problem with the Linhof finder. It fits easily in the top pocket.

Thomas

I used viewfinder pro and then Mark-II viewfinder although I am waiting on Lazlo to update it for iPhone 6 which I now use. I find it to be well worth the money and I have saved a *ton* of time in scouting or sizing up a shot when shooting LF. But one of the best parts of using the app is being able to scout a shot for later as it will show the exact gps location that I can return to later.

I find it an amazing tool, I use it a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Kodachrome25 View Post
    I used viewfinder pro and then Mark-II viewfinder although I am waiting on Lazlo to update it for iPhone 6 which I now use.
    I find it an amazing tool, I use it a lot.
    I agree, the Mark 11 Viewfinder for iPhone is an amazing tool. Way more versatile than other preview and composition aids I have used in the past like frames with strings and accessory finders.

I don't think of it as a simulator at all, but as a temporary bridge between the image I would like photograph and the specific focal length needed to capture it with a given film or sensor size.

Wish something similar were available for phones and tablets with Android operating system.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Although I'd prefer to have "something" like this App without the need for an electronic device - I always come back using it. Together with other Apps it even helps to simulate the effect of different filters (BW color filtration).

As others have already said - it's a great tool for scouting images without taking the camera with and it really helps finding the perfect spot for setting up the camera/tripod.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alps-fv.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	148838
    Final image here.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumium View Post
    As others have already said - it's a great tool for scouting images without taking the camera with and it really helps finding the perfect spot for setting up the camera/tripod.
    It also reminds you when you make an iPhone image that will not be there when you bring the LF.

What is the advantage of the Mark II over the Viewfinder Pro version?

I did upgrade from the Basic to the Pro version to handle odd formats (8x20 in my case), but have not seen (nor looked thus far) the rational to update to the Mark II.

Can someone provide some insight please...

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    It also reminds you when you make an iPhone image that will not be there when you bring the LF.
    I know the feeling :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Len Middleton View Post
    I did upgrade from the Basic to the Pro version to handle odd formats (8x20 in my case), but have not seen (nor looked thus far) the rational to update to the Mark II.

Can someone provide some insight please...
    DireStudio states for Viewfinder Pro: "New iOS devices introduced since 2014 (such as the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus) are not and will not be supported with this app." Thus if you have a new iPhone/iPod/iPad you're forced to update. I upgraded and have never looked back.