Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Graflex Pacemaker Speed Graphic (1947)

Re: Graflex Pacemaker Speed Graphic (1947)

i would keep the shen hao, but i guess its easier and cheaper finding a good deal on speed graphic and barrel lenses than finding a before the lens shutter for each lens you wanna attach on the shen hao,
    than is also the size of the board, shutter times if i wanna shoot f 3.5 with the before the lens shutter and the shen hao.. i think with the shen hao you are more limited with older lenses..

well i just came from MF to LF so there is ALOT i have to learn, but from what i have been reading the last month (i might be wrong) it would be cheaper and easier with the speed graphic option.

i was also considering buying a Pentacon 6 and somehow building a after the lens shutter from the Pentacons body )

The problem with using your Aero Ektars and more so the Petzval designs is their size. To get a Petzval to cover 4x5, you'll need about a 7". But most came closer to 8", and are around F4. Trying to fit that on a 4" board will be difficult because the barrel will be about 3 or 3.5 inches around. And then there is the flange, which is another 1/4 inch on each side. You basically run out of lensboard before you get coverage, unless you go for a slower Petzval, around F6. And if you are using an F6 Petzval, you don't get the speed and effects they are known for. You might as well use an F4.5 Tessar, that has wider field of view.

Also, they are heavy cameras. Add a big lens, and you'll end up trying to hold a heavy beast still during shots. They work well on tripods, but then, why get a Speed Graphic with no movements for tripod work?

So you can see, the tradeoffs make using a Speed Graphic someone less than the ideal it seems.

Here is my pre-anniversary speed graphic; has the same lens board shape/mounting as the anniversary. I made the wooden lensboards myself. Speeds are an ideal setup for barrel lenses. Here's l-r 210 trioplan, heliar, 7.25 verito, 190 reinhold wollaston meniscus, and aero ektar. 2nd pic has a 9" gundlach hyperion and the flange is bigger than the lensboard but that's OK since the lensboard sticks out a little beyond the front standard. I use it with a tripod to maintain composition/focus and really appreciate the high shutter speeds for shooting outdoors close to wide open.

I keep the lenses+boards either together in a fishing reel case, or transport each in a lens wrap when using them.

IMG_20140311_194123 by Jason Philbrook, on Flickr

1221142036a by Jason Philbrook, on Flickr

I stand corrected. You can put a pretty large lens on them. If you want to.

Re: Grafkex Pacemaker Speed Graphic (1947)

Quote Originally Posted by Jbuck View Post
    thanks alot, but im still abit confused from this:

1. so the anniversary model has larger lens boards which would also accept larger and fatter lenses, but does the 10mm difference compared to the peacemaker make much difference on the old lens market? are there alot of lenses who would fit the anniversary but not the peacemaker?

One lens that fits more easily on an Anniversary is the popular Aero-Ektar. Those few extra mm won't make much difference for most lenses. Many newer lenses are designed to be mounted with retaining rings to thin boards. Older lenses often mount on flanges that can be screwed to thicker boards or bolted to thin boards. The flange can also be used as a retaining ring on thin boards.

2. what also confused me is, ...so the anniversary doesn't have a graflok back, it has either spring or graflex? but you can addpot a graflok back to it, right?
    does graflex and spring backs accept normal 4x5 or 9x12 film holders, or the Polaroid 545 holder or the Polaroid 405 like the graflok back does?

The Graflex back accepts only Graflex accessories, severely limiting its versatility. I've mounted the Graflock back from later cameras to the Anniversary cameras. It's an easy task, but the Graflock viewfinder for the sports finder is too tall. I don't know which Polaroid holders mount on which backs.

3. Anniversary dosnt have tilt right? so if adopting the peacemaker front standard to a Anniversary im again back at the point of having a bit smaller lensboard, right?

No, you can retain the Anniversary frame when you mount a Pacemaker front standard to an Anniversary camera.

my problem was as a newbie LFist i bought a shen hao and now i see all this beautiful shutter less lenses like the petzvals, tessars, wollensacks, delmeyers, aerio ektars...
    so now i see and realize why everybody loves the Speed Graphics!

thanks for all the help and time!