Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What's your favourite B&W inkjet paper and why?

Re: What's your favourite B&W inkjet paper and why?

We are in the middle of a 30 print show from Iphone capture .. tri colour gum over pd.. I love this.

I have found Museum Etching ink on paper- pt pd on arche platine and the new Art 300 silver can all hang together quite nicely.

Epson Exhibition Fiber has the blackest blacks, the most brilliant whites, the sharpest images, the largest color gamut and the highest color saturation of any paper on the market. It has the highest Dmax of any paper I have tried, as well as the brightest and whitest base I have ever seen in a fiber-based paper. Prints on this paper are sharper than any other paper I have tried. The color gamut with Epson K3 inks exceeds even the Adobe RGB working color space.

Quote Originally Posted by evadennis View Post
    Epson Exhibition Fiber has the blackest blacks, the most brilliant whites, the sharpest images, the largest color gamut and the highest color saturation of any paper on the market. It has the highest Dmax of any paper I have tried, as well as the brightest and whitest base I have ever seen in a fiber-based paper. Prints on this paper are sharper than any other paper I have tried. The color gamut with Epson K3 inks exceeds even the Adobe RGB working color space.
    It sounds like you are making a commercial for Epson. Many of these qualities have all to do with the paper profiling. While this latest iteration is better than it has been I wouldn't imagine the Epson paper is the best up against a Hahnemuhle, Crane or Canson. You can also be sure that Epson didn't make the paper, they aren't a paper company. They don't actually make any of their products, they do a little R&D but they are basically a marketing concern.

I wouldn't buy Epson paper (or ink) if I didn't have to. The way the company behaves in the marketplace is awful, to be kind. I tend to vote with my dollars when possible. I do feel the need to buy their printers for what I am after, but I don't have to use their consumables.
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Eiger View Post
    I...Epson...I do feel the need to buy their printers for what I am after...
    Do I recall incorrectly that you previously posted your shop had become an "Epson-free zone?" If it was, what changed and what are you after that requires Epson printers to achieve? Thanks in advance.

I've never tried anything but Ilford Gold Fibre Silk, and I like it, but could be persuaded to use another. Is there a reason no one else mentioned it?

Head strikes? That's what I got when I tried IGFS. Otherwise, it's very nice. Maybe it was just a bad match with my printer. Epson Exhibition Fiber does give high impact results, but it has a lot of optical brighteners, which means bluish highlights. Even worse, those brighteners will fade.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Do I recall incorrectly that you previously posted your shop had become an "Epson-free zone?" If it was, what changed and what are you after that requires Epson printers to achieve? Thanks in advance.
    I did. Here's what happened. I was using Roland's, they are now up for sale, both of them. They were excellent, well-built, easily maintainable, terrific machines, etc.

They were originally designed to do 6 color, and to do this fast, by having two sets of six channels (yes, 12 channels) so that the device could print twice as fast. StudioPrint figured out that they could make an incredible inset by combining all 12 in one print "environment" that had 8 colors (adding orange and green) and 4 Cone blacks, smoothing things out tremendously and making the color more accurate. All good.

Except that it was too good. Epson got upset, and demanded that Roland get out of the fine art market. They were relegated to banners and signs, they could have that market, but stay out of fine art.... This wasn't a request... its serious. Further, they told StudioPrint that if they persisted in allowing people to use all 12 channels, that they wouldn't be given the codes for the new printers, and they would be forced out of business as well.

My Roland's are 1440 by 1440m, which is plenty fine for doing what I am doing, and for anything that goes on paper. However, I want to do enlarged negatives, print in platinum, etc., and I need a smaller dot size, as in the 2880x2880 setting. As it stands, almost no one is asking me to print in color for them so there is no reason to keep the printer filled up with ink and I am going to let that go...

I'll get a new 9x00 as soon as I sell the Roland's and stop doing color altogether... I expect to run it with QTR and my own blend of Cone inks...

Does that answer your question?

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Eiger View Post
    ...Does that answer your question?...
    Sure does. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    Head strikes? That's what I got when I tried IGFS. Otherwise, it's very nice. Maybe it was just a bad match with my printer. Epson Exhibition Fiber does give high impact results, but it has a lot of optical brighteners, which means bluish highlights. Even worse, those brighteners will fade.
    How about Gold Mono Silk? Its a great paper too, and I have not had any head strike problems with either Gold Fiber/Mono Silk (Epson 3880).

Born L.A.-NYC is 2nd Home-Rustbelt is Home Base

Quote Originally Posted by Jess C View Post
    I have done a lot of printing on my 3880 and I prefer Canson's Baryta paper for my black and white. It's as close to silver gelatin photographic paper as I have had the pleasure of using. Epson Exhibition is good and some of Hahnemuhle offerings are excellent but for me the Canson's does me good.
    About the same as you, but I lean to Fine Art Baryta for the tough surface. It is not my fav finish though, just tough.