Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite 8x10 Field Camera and why?

Re: Favorite 8x10 Field Camera and why?

Chamonix 8x10

I'll bite, and yes, I've been lucky enough to "have a go" with the following:

1. Kodak Master (aka "KMV"). 3 "go rounds" with this camera . Great field camera, long(ish) bellows extension, but takes b@$+ard lensboards, so you're either relegated to a DIY solution, or having a lensboard adapter made. Not super light, but light enough to pack around if you want to take 2-3 lenses and some holders in a backpack. If you buy one and it has original/older bellows, I'd recommend changing them out for new ones.

2. Arca 8x10 F-line
    Great if you want a VERY refined system, lightweight, and sturdy. Despite being a "rail system" camera, it packs very small if you use the 15cm(6") base rail, and unscrew the extension rails when packing things away. She'll cost you though. Even used, these are sought after, and for good reason! I'd be looking for another one of these if I were to jump back into using 8x10.

I've only used one 8x10, but what a nice one it is. Arca Swiss 8x10 F-line. Read no. 2 above.

I think the camera on the 15 cm rail with no lens is about 9.5 pounds. Arca says 4.1 Kg with a 50 cm rail and telescoping base. sounds like they pumped the bellows full of Hydrogen, but ok.

You need to remember that with 8x10, the film holder add up weight really quickly if you're going to cary many. "Many" might mean > 2 .

Your lens choice can also make a big difference. I like shooting the big film, but mostly if I'm going very far from a car, it will be 5x7.

I only have a 4x5 enlarger, so if I want to make bigger prints, I need to use smaller film.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Forgive my impertinence, but this question is a little like asking us who your should marry.
    So scout out out at as many 8x10s as possible.
    Take them out and get to know them and how compatible you two can be.
    Are they made from good materials? Does everything work like it is supposed to?
    No camera is perfect, but neither are photographers.
    And then make the leap of faith.
    But chances are you won't get to take all, if any of the cameras mentioned here out for a "date."
    So basically, you're picking your future 8x10 bride out of a catalog.
    Good grief! That is scary!
    Actually, I disagree. What I find helpful is to understand other people's experiences while using a particular camera. Like any tool, a camera will do somethings well, others, not as well. It's extremely helpful to have the collective experience of the community to be able to compare the pros/cons of a given piece of equipment. I'm sorry you felt it necessary to make someone feel bad for asking a question, I for one, find it useful. If you don't, you can ignore this thread and move along.

Drew Wiley

Depends what you mean by a "field" camera, what your priorities are. My own priorities were something light enough to carry significant mileage, but still rigid
    and reliable in wind and weather, and fast to operate without a lot of redundant features. The original Phillips 8x10 happened to fit that description perfectly, and
    was even a bargain to buy. But they're no longer made and have shot to the moon in terms of used pricing. But the Chamonix is similar and reasonably priced.

Whelp.

owned a KMV years ago..sold it before using it..seemed like a sturdy camera platform

used a Kodak 2D and a Kodak Commercial - hated them both..too flimsy, but now I'm thinking it wasprobably just those examples

used a deardorf - loved it ...sad to have had to sell it (getting married)

owned a beautiful..mint..unused even Agfa ..forget the model..but it was pretty trick.. it was too nice for me to knock around so I sold it

now have a B&J commercial...bought it in parts from someone who sanded it all down, refinished it clearcoat, chromed the metal pieces, etc...really like it
    - maybe I'll even get around to using it one day

I've never owned an 8x10. They're too big, too clumsy, too expensive, the lenses are too long (and too big and heavy), and I don't like the format. Not to mention having to use/carry a tripod that weighs a ton.
    You're limited to contact prints unless you buy an 800 pound enlarger, (or scan in which case, why not just start with a high-MP digital camera?).
    I even tried Whole Plate, at great expense and frustration, which eliminated most of the above objections -- and discovered to my extreme disappointment that I didn't like that format, either.
    5x7 is a better answer.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Drew Wiley

Well Bill, scanning backs aren't exactly practical in the field and are damn expensive anyway, and the other digital options aren't anywhere near the league of
    8x10 film clout. And most people can't afford their own observatory, so 8x10 film still has a lot going for it is someone needs a lot of content. You've got something big enough to contract print, but small enough to conveniently enlarge. Best of both worlds. 5x7 is nice too, but there's never seems to be a good selection of film around for that. I personally love shooting 8x10. Carrying it around sure beats running like a rat on a treadmill in a stinky gym.

Drew Wiley

... Oh, the lenses for 8x10 don't need to be big and heavy either. The ones I use weigh less apiece than typical 35mm lenses. Most of them double for use in 4x5
    (or hypothetically 5x7).

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    I've never owned an 8x10. They're too big, too clumsy, too expensive, the lenses are too long (and too big and heavy), and I don't like the format. Not to mention having to use/carry a tripod that weighs a ton.
    You're limited to contact prints unless you buy an 800 pound enlarger, (or scan in which case, why not just start with a high-MP digital camera?).
    I even tried Whole Plate, at great expense and frustration, which eliminated most of the above objections -- and discovered to my extreme disappointment that I didn't like that format, either.
    5x7 is a better answer.
    Yeah, but with 5x7 you get that too long format. You might as well shoot 35mm or digital. I was so happy when I shot my first medium format camera and got away from the too long format of 35mm. Why would I want to corrupt my large format with 5x7? Oh, the square format is fine too. It' s hip to be square! Just no too long format. What are you shooting, panoramas?

All joking aside, to each their own.