Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Cambo TWR 54 - 4x5 Twin Lens Reflex (like Gowlandflex) Question...

Re: Cambo TWR 54 - 4x5 Twin Lens Reflex (like Gowlandflex) Question...

Thanks, ED~
    Sometimes love just ain't enough.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pierre506/sets/

Just as a clarification for Pierre (and others) - the factory lens boards for these have one lens board that has an adjustable threaded section. This is to allow adjustment for minor mismatches in focal lengths between the two lenses. Basically it allows the viewing lens to be threaded in and out of the upper board to adjust the spacing so they match (The two lenses). WIthout adjustability it would require some sort of shimming or other solution since it's rare that any given two lenses focal lengths are exactly the same length.

Quote Originally Posted by EdSawyer View Post
    Just as a clarification for Pierre (and others) - the factory lens boards for these have one lens board that has an adjustable threaded section. This is to allow adjustment for minor mismatches in focal lengths between the two lenses. Basically it allows the viewing lens to be threaded in and out of the upper board to adjust the spacing so they match (The two lenses). WIthout adjustability it would require some sort of shimming or other solution since it's rare that any given two lenses focal lengths are exactly the same length.
    Dear Ed,
    I understood your meaning now.
    It also means I got two boards for the taking lenses. My copied boards are the same.
    PITY~
    Hoping to see the detailed pictures of the viewing lens board.
    Waiting for your mail.
    Pierre

Quote Originally Posted by EdSawyer View Post
    Pierre, I can likely get you the 210 and 270 cam profiles. Also, some profiles by the user that I got my TWR from - he had modified them some to improve them. (He has a spare TWR set or two he wants to sell also.)

Can you share the contact for the lens boards? I'd be up for a couple sets of #1 ones possibly. I bet others would also. did you get the threaded adjustable section in one board, or are they both flat boards with no adjustment? Either is ok though of course the threaded adjustment would be nice.

thanks for keeping this thread alive. Email/PM me for an address for the cam profiles - I can send via email.

-Ed
    ED, did you get my message?

Will reply soon, yes,

Thanks,
    Ed

mechanical drawings for Cambo TWR54 lens plates and focus-cams

Hi everybody,

Here's some potentially* good news:

I, too, have a couple —or a few— of these great cameras and, years ago —when I ran into the same problem as many of you have expressed here (I needed lens plates and focussing cams)—, I succeeded in obtaining some of the original mechanical drawings for these items. Cambo has told me that I can send these to individuals, but asked me not put them on the net.

*For the moment, I haven't even looked for these drawings (they're "somewhere around here"), so I hope this doesn't end up as a big tease for you. The other bug is that I don't 'do' regular internet stuff, so if I find these drawings, they'll be sent as Xeroxes, and you'll have to send me a SASE to get them. (Welcome back to 1985 ... but if you're using this camera, you ought to be used to it!).

Lastly, Cambo told me it would OK to give copies of these drawings to individuals, but asked not to post them online. I gave them my word, so I'll be passing this 'promise' requirement on to whomever I send the drawings (translation: I hope this doesn't seem weird or freak anybody out, but my word is an important thing for me to keep credible. Therefore —since I gave my word to Cambo— I'd feel better if the prospective recipient of the drawings actually sent me a little "promise not to post online" note, too ...Signed and dated! Of course, this wouldn't prevent you from passing the drawings to another friend.).

By the way, as I've said elsewhere, it's perhaps no coincidence that the Cambo and Gowland TLR's are alike: Alice Gowland once told me that Peter had once contacted "some company in the Netherlands" to study the feasibility (and make a prototype) of the Gowlandflex, but they deemed it "too expensive and there wouldn't be a big enough market". In fact, I believe that the biggest single customer for this Cambo TWR54 may-well have been the Dutch police department!

That's hilarious now. Stolen by Dutch and used by police. Funny now...

Does anyone know if the Cambo threaded lens boards are the same thread as Gowlandflex?

I too would like any info on Gowlandflex threaded lens boards, either where to find just one or the drawings.

My Gowlandflex came without lens boards and I had flat boards made, that mounted without damaging original female threads on the front standard. It works perfectly, but it is not original...
    Tin Can

Hi Randy...

I hasten to clarify .. I'm not accusing my good friends at Cambo of "stealing"!

The Cambo TWR54 is similar enough that, yes, I guess one could say that it could have been "inspired by" the Gowlandflex, but look at the two side-by-side and you'll easily see several basic differences, especially —but not limited to— the viewfinder.

This kind of "inspired design" goes on all the time in any industry (and WAY before the Asian industries became (in)famous for it!). It's even happened to me: I once designed a large, bass drum shaped pop-up changing tent —nothing on the market at the time had a similar concept (it's the one you saw me with, loading 8x10 film, when I appeared on Schneider's website).

An English company who is known for their pop-open photo products offered to make me a prototype (perhaps to get a better look at it?), but instead of staying with my idea of having it pop open, they told me that my design would be difficult to build, so they made it with prop-up "sticks" sewn-in, between the the inner and outer walls of the tent. The user has to feel for the sticks, then prop them up to hold the roof up. Plus, this manufacturer sewed the sleeves directly opposite one another, on the sides of the tent (at the three o'clock and nine o'clock positions) rather than on the front. Great if you're a gorilla. Anyway, I bravely brought this funky design to Photokina where it received a predictable lack of interest.

Coincidentally, this same manufacturer later introduced a pop-up changing tent onto the market. No accusations, though. As I said: a coincidence. Their changing tent pops up differently than the one I had in mind (which is still in my mind, by the way ..so investors are welcome to contact me . . . Chinese spoken here ) (half joke)
    ::
    ::

Wow... love the serial number!!

Re: mechanical drawings for Cambo TWR54 lens plates and focus-cams

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Nisperos View Post
    Hi everybody,

Here's some potentially* good news:

I, too, have a couple —or a few— of these great cameras and, years ago —when I ran into the same problem as many of you have expressed here (I needed lens plates and focussing cams)—, I succeeded in obtaining some of the original mechanical drawings for these items. Cambo has told me that I can send these to individuals, but asked me not put them on the net.

*For the moment, I haven't even looked for these drawings (they're "somewhere around here"), so I hope this doesn't end up as a big tease for you. The other bug is that I don't 'do' regular internet stuff, so if I find these drawings, they'll be sent as Xeroxes, and you'll have to send me a SASE to get them. (Welcome back to 1985 ... but if you're using this camera, you ought to be used to it!).

Lastly, Cambo told me it would OK to give copies of these drawings to individuals, but asked not to post them online. I gave them my word, so I'll be passing this 'promise' requirement on to whomever I send the drawings (translation: I hope this doesn't seem weird or freak anybody out, but my word is an important thing for me to keep credible. Therefore —since I gave my word to Cambo— I'd feel better if the prospective recipient of the drawings actually sent me a little "promise not to post online" note, too ...Signed and dated! Of course, this wouldn't prevent you from passing the drawings to another friend.).

By the way, as I've said elsewhere, it's perhaps no coincidence that the Cambo and Gowland TLR's are alike: Alice Gowland once told me that Peter had once contacted "some company in the Netherlands" to study the feasibility (and make a prototype) of the Gowlandflex, but they deemed it "too expensive and there wouldn't be a big enough market". In fact, I believe that the biggest single customer for this Cambo TWR54 may-well have been the Dutch police department!
    Good news~