Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bad experience with Adorama in NY

Bad experience with Adorama in NY

I like Jeff too, but aren't we sort of bagging him on the other thread for selling Shen-Hao rip-off designs?

I've dealt extensively with Adorama over the years and have had nothing but good experiences, much better than with B&H. I became a customer for life of Adorama about ten years ago when they accepted a return of a color processor after the return period expired and after I had filled in the warranty card. A few months ago someone related a similar story here or in photo.net about Adorama accepting a return of a scanner under similar circumstances. I suspect there is more to "Joe Smith's" story than is posted here. All mail order stores make occasional mistakes but I'd be amazed if Adorama charged somebody for a warranty they didn't order and then refused to refund the cost when the customer complained in a timely fashion.

I've dealt with many of the sales people at Adorama, if Joe Smith cares to post the name of his sales person or his order number I'll be glad to check at Adorama and see what's going on. I wanted to make this offer by an email message to him but when I tried to get his email address all that appeared was "no name available."
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

"to find the retaining ring was missing"

Jeff,

What kind of lens and what retaining ring?

For instance Rodenstock enlarging lenses that have a Leica screw thread (50mm, 80mm, etc.) are not supplied with a retaining ring by the factory. On the other hand all other size thread enlarging lenses from Rodenstock as well as all taking lenses do include the ring.

My one experience with Adorama started shaky, but then they really came through, so in the end I give them high marks.

I have had nothing but good experiences with B&H, Badger, and Mid-West. In fact, it's been a looong time since I've had a bad experience, knock wood.

Bruce
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

Bob,

It was a Nikon 300/9. The parts diagram included even shows the ring. Schneider and Rodenstock camera lenses I've purchased in the past have always come with them.

jeff

To be fair to Joe Smith, he does have a bit more posting history under another user id: www.largeformatphotography.info/lfforum/showuser.php?uid=7398. Also, originating IP addresses of messages are logged, but not displayed publicly.

Brian
    Well, I too was surprised by Adorama's stunt. I have been doing business with them for *years* with no problems, until this debacle.
    Caveat Emptor with Adorama, people!

Tom
    Yes, sorry I had forgotten those log in details...I don't use forums too often, but I thought this rip-off was worth reporting to other photographers in the hopes it may save them a bit of frustration.

Joe, why the reluctance to share actual contact information? Tom structured this forum's software so your email address won't be harvested by spambots.

I want to give a big thank you to John at J&C. I received my order on Monday and it was short a box of film, I sent him an email and the film arrived today. Thanks, chris