Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Foam for film holder cases? Looking for a product.

Re: Foam for film holder cases? Looking for a product.

Check with the online folks at Foam Factory http://www.thefoamfactory.com/
    Check out either open cell or closed cell I use the "Polyethylene Roll" closed cell.
    Buy by the foot from a 50 inch wide roll.
    Pretty much a hand cut edge. If you would like a sample I have some 1/2 inch
    I use the 3M foam glue or less aggressive grab and hold than Super 77.

I just contacted this place: http://www.foamforyou.com/
    and expect to place an order soon. I've not yet done business with them, so really too soon to say. But they have been responsive to emails, fwiw, and that's a start.

In the past I have used closed cell foam camping pads as already mentioned. It seemed to work well and was readily available at a reasonable price.

I would use foam designed for electronics packaging. Tends to have higher density and does not deteriorate. I have some I've had in cases for 30 years. Though without regular exposure to light. You might be able to find it locally, if not it's available online.

Vinny, try this polyethylene foam. It is very resilient without being squishy, holds its shape well and cuts easily with either a sharp knife or hotwire. It has a smooth outer surface that is somewhat slippery and glues well with 3m77. I use a heat gun to clean up cut edges. I would use the 4lb foam for lens cases. If you need something even stiffer try polystyrene foam. http://www.thefoamfactory.com/packag...ylenefoam.html
    Last edited by winterclock; 2-Feb-2015 at 20:56. Reason: more info
    James

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Stone View Post
    Vinny,
    I made some dividers for cases using anti-static felt and 1/2" thick foam, sourced from Joann Fabrics (gotta love that "50% off any 1 cut" coupon!). I then used some 'coroplast' material to make the rigid centers of the dividers for some of my Pelican cases. 4'x8' sheet of coroplast was ~$15 from Home Depot, IIRC. Total cost to outfit 3+ cases: less than $75.

Heres some pictures of one of them:

Daniel: Please check your PMs.

Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Vinny,
    I made some dividers for cases using anti-static felt and 1/2" thick foam, sourced from Joann Fabrics (gotta love that "50% off any 1 cut" coupon!). I then used some 'coroplast' material to make the rigid centers of the dividers for some of my Pelican cases. 4'x8' sheet of coroplast was ~$15 from Home Depot, IIRC. Total cost to outfit 3+ cases: less than $75.
    How did you deal with the 3 sides of the felt when wrapping around the foam/coroplast? The spray glue?

Quote Originally Posted by HMG View Post
    How did you deal with the 3 sides of the felt when wrapping around the foam/coroplast? The spray glue?
    Not following you...

I sprayed the adhesive onto the material itself, where it would contact the coroplast and foam(I wanted it to be tight).
    ***READ THE DIRECTIONS ON THE BACK OF THE CAN: Most spray adhesives that are designed for foam need to allow for some "pre-contact" time, so they tack up some. I did this(NOT waiting), mistakenly on the first set of dividers, and it got a little messy, so I had to make replacement pieces

FWIW, I'm going to try sewing some "sleeves" to make padded dividers on some future cases, next. This will allow me to slip the rigid interior pieces into those sewn "sleeves", therefore eliminating the need to glue the material to the outer fabric.

I'll be making a video(as requested by a number of people here) in the coming weeks, when I have enough time to do so . I'll post it on YouTube, so it'll be easy to reference.

-Dan

Not following you...

-Dan
    It looks to me that the felt extends a bit past the foam/coroplast and that the felt is attached to itself. Like the edges of ravioli.

Quote Originally Posted by HMG View Post
    It looks to me that the felt extends a bit past the foam/coroplast and that the felt is attached to itself. Like the edges of ravioli.
    Ah, gotcha... Ravioli, making me hungry !

On some of them, it does. I simply sprayed the back of the material with the adhesive(laying flat on a board, on the ground), then overlaid the divider piece(fully assembled), then flipped each side over, pinching the sides and smoothing out the surface to have a nice even surface without ripples or pinched fabric.

I am not clear on what the stiffening material is?

Any pics of the assembly process?
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!