Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I Got an Offer I Could Refuse

Born L.A.-NYC is 2nd Home-Rustbelt is Home Base

Re: I Got an Offer I Could Refuse

If he is making a film he should be able to offer you a small honorarium for use of your pix. No matter how you cut it it cost $ to make a film. If he is that cheap, send him to the Wiki Commons.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._by_terror.jpg

24 million photos for free he can use.

I was hoping to hear back from by now, but so far nothing. It looks as if yet another chance for fame and fortune has slipped through my fingers. What I find surprising, but I suppose I really shouldn't, is that he's making this film for someone who would be the first to say that photographers deserve to be paid for their efforts. It would be nice if they have this conversation.

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

I had a similar situation last year. A good client (very well known) wanted to use an image (online only) for a music CD they had recorded. Actually, they wanted me to come up with a "couple of designs" they could pick from. I said - "Now for the ugly question, what is the budget for this?" (Already guessed the answer) - "No money for this, no way to add credit, but can you help us out?" - Um, no. They're still a good client, but I held firm on it, knowing that one time can turn in to 2 or 3 or ...
    r.j. phil
    www.rjphil.com
    N.E. Large Format Photography Collective

Content providers are now considered volunteer positions. Perhaps because of the Internet, where there is so much free stuff, users figure if an artist wants money, they can just tell him no, and find something for free. You know, on the internet. Many sites, businesses, blogs, and a generation of Internet users figures they can just hack or "borrow" any content they need, so why pay?

What content? Writers are typically not paid, or paid very poorly, in most hobby and trade magazines. You are supposed to be wowed by the fact you are "in print" and just not expect money. Same with photographers in many situations. Because digital cameras are as common as a toaster (more so), the idea of paying someone to wield such a user friendly device is preposterous. To them. Public speaking is another content area where you are expected to volunteer your time, to teach others what required you years to learn. Many of us are asked to "show a few of us a demonstration" which becomes a fullbore workshop. I have a friend who will go unnamed who is an expert LF photographer. Another friend calls him several times a year, asking to bring over a few students or colleagues or people he is trying to impress. The photographer is then expected to spend several hours demonstrating all aspects of the Large Format process. Those people basically just got a free workshop.

With billions of people on the planet, connected with instantaneous information and communication, the worth of an individual is very low. And I fear will just get lower as we go on.

It looks pretty bleak, Garrett, I agree.

Here is an excerpt from Rosanne Cash's testimony to Congress related to artists right's:

"I have been publicly critical about the payment structures streaming services currently offer artists. For example, for an 18 month period, there were nearly 600,000 streams of my songs on a popular subscription site. I was paid $114.00 for those streams." from:

http://www.americansongwriter.com/20...rtists-rights/

If 600,000 plays of Rosanne Cash's music commands such a paltry sum, where does that leave all the other musicians who are less well known? Clearly, the streaming companies have set up the systems to profit a few people at the expense of the many.

I photographed a local musician for a narrative portraiture class, and the situation is bleak for those who are not big names. Selling a few physical prints of this guy would give him more profit than any of the digital distribution systems.

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    Content providers are now considered volunteer positions. Perhaps because of the Internet, where there is so much free stuff, users figure if an artist wants money, they can just tell him no, and find something for free. You know, on the internet. Many sites, businesses, blogs, and a generation of Internet users figures they can just hack or "borrow" any content they need, so why pay?

What content? Writers are typically not paid, or paid very poorly, in most hobby and trade magazines. You are supposed to be wowed by the fact you are "in print" and just not expect money. Same with photographers in many situations. Because digital cameras are as common as a toaster (more so), the idea of paying someone to wield such a user friendly device is preposterous. To them. Public speaking is another content area where you are expected to volunteer your time, to teach others what required you years to learn. Many of us are asked to "show a few of us a demonstration" which becomes a fullbore workshop. I have a friend who will go unnamed who is an expert LF photographer. Another friend calls him several times a year, asking to bring over a few students or colleagues or people he is trying to impress. The photographer is then expected to spend several hours demonstrating all aspects of the Large Format process. Those people basically just got a free workshop.

With billions of people on the planet, connected with instantaneous information and communication, the worth of an individual is very low. And I fear will just get lower as we go on.
    Man, what was I thinking buying all this gear, expect lots of great deals the classifieds tomorrow!
    Thanks for the tip...

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Kellogg View Post
    It looks pretty bleak, Garrett, I agree.

Here is an excerpt from Rosanne Cash's testimony to Congress related to artists right's:

"I have been publicly critical about the payment structures streaming services currently offer artists. For example, for an 18 month period, there were nearly 600,000 streams of my songs on a popular subscription site. I was paid $114.00 for those streams." from:

http://www.americansongwriter.com/20...rtists-rights/

If 600,000 plays of Rosanne Cash's music commands such a paltry sum, where does that leave all the other musicians who are less well known? Clearly, the streaming companies have set up the systems to profit a few people at the expense of the many.

I photographed a local musician for a narrative portraiture class, and the situation is bleak for those who are not big names. Selling a few physical prints of this guy would give him more profit than any of the digital distribution systems.
    Oh yeah, I forgot about music as content! The golden period for musicians was between the late 1950s, when they learned not to get screwed too bad by the record labels, and the 2000s, when downloadable music stopped the current generation from buying music off the shelf. There are a few musicians who still make money, but it's the 1%ers compared to the 1970s and 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wasserman View Post
    I was hoping to hear back from by now, but so far nothing. It looks as if yet another chance for fame and fortune has slipped through my fingers. What I find surprising, but I suppose I really shouldn't, is that he's making this film for someone who would be the first to say that photographers deserve to be paid for their efforts. It would be nice if they have this conversation.
    Nobody asked you to take that picture so why should you be paid for your efforts? He's paying you a compliment by wanting to put your picture in his movie. That should be payment enough. I, for one (it seems) would gladly have agreed to let him use it, no charge.

He is still going to make his movie and prolly find another picture to use. You have nothing. Are you really better off NOW than you would have been had you let him use your image in his film??

I certainly hope the commenter above is being sarcastic!

I was asked recently by a (online seller of) handloom and handicrafts start-up to take photographs of their items for cataloging with models.
    On being asked the budget - 'we can't afford to pay'.
    This from someone who will use those images to make money!!

Quote Originally Posted by analoguey View Post
    I certainly hope the commenter above is being sarcastic!

I was asked recently by a (online seller of) handloom and handicrafts start-up to take photographs of their items for cataloging with models.
    On being asked the budget - 'we can't afford to pay'.
    This from someone who will use those images to make money!!
    Not being sarcastic at all. Your situation compared to the OP is apples to oranges.