Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: In what do you carry 4x5 lenses when in the field?

Re: In what do you carry 4x5 lenses when in the field?

My Husky wide mouth toolbag as pictured holds 4x5 speed graphic, light meter, 6 film holders, 2-3 lenses. Lenses are on their 4" boards with their own domke lens wrap.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/137596...57632415184077

Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    My Husky wide mouth toolbag as pictured holds 4x5 speed graphic, light meter, 6 film holders, 2-3 lenses. Lenses are on their 4" boards with their own domke lens wrap.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/137596...57632415184077
    Those bags are pretty good. I use the Husky envelope bags for 5x7 holders.
    Tin Can

My lenses are on the smaller Linhoff/Toyo lens boards. I have carried them double wrapped in zip-loc bags (inner) and Crown Royal bags (outer) inside a padded camera bag. I have used "ACID" brand cigar boxes fitted with DIY closed cell inserts . Currently; the lenses are protected by the semi-ridged storage boxes from PhotoBackpacker. This last solution works great.

PBP makes lens boxes that will fit the larger Sinar boards. Hope they are still in business!

Daniel Stone wrote "A camera bag/hard case(like a Pelican or Lowepro/Tamrac) can attract the wrong attention in some cases. Most would-be thieves won't give a cooler a second thought when they see it in the back seat of a car, where as a pelican case or expensive camera backpack screams "steal me!" "

The PhotoBackpacker boxes work well in many types of carry bag. Any hiking pack, roll-around carry-on or even a tote bag can be come a stealth photo bag.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

I have Tamrac 750 and 752 Photo Backpacks that I use to carry either a 4"x5" Pacemaker Speed Graphic or a 4"x5" Graflex Model D with Grafmatic backs, filters and lenses. They are no long made but they do show up on the internet.
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

I use a Kit Cube Traveler pack from Mountainsmith that goes inside a hiking backpack. It holds Chamonix 4x5, 75, 90, 180, 300, 400t, spot meter, bulb blower, extra ground glass, filter pack, lupe, cable releases, tools, pencil, etc...

http://mountainsmith.com/index.php/c...eler-2014.html
    Robert Oliver

PBP 3X lens case and a Gnass 3X lens case.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
    Good idea, however I might prefer something where the lenses wouldn't be stacked, and which could be carried separate from my backpack. Good idea, though. Especially the waterproof stuff sacks.
    Thanks, BAB
    Well my current stuff sack is not waterproof, but that's not a bad idea. If there is ever any hint of rain the pack gets covered with the packs built in rain cover. I just use a normal pack from REI.
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
    Ansel Adams

BAB

Those ziplock bags are great in more ways than one. In colder weather, one can bring film and lenses back inside to the warmth without worrying about condensation. When you live in Maine, ziplock bags are a given in one's photo kit. BAB

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Well, this is 8x10, but I still hope most folks have a better 'system' than me! The lenses, darkcloth, meter, and misc pouch is kept in the area above the camera. The 300mm has a hard foam homemade case, one or two lenses in lens wraps and one in a bubble-wrap pouch. The secret is in the loading/reloading the pack on the ground so that everything stacks nice and safe when the pack goes on the back!

When I was traveling with a 4x5, I used one lens -- kept in a lens wrap (and a spare GG in a 4x5 film box). It would have been sweet if the camera design would have allowed me to fold the camera with the lens still on the camera. One less thing to fuss with!

Anti-static ziplock bags for film holders and lenses are nice. There are also anti-static ziplock bubble bags -- just a little more padding.

BAB

Dudes,

What great suggestions, all. Nothing like tapping into the combined experience of dozens (hundreds?) of photographers. Husky tool bags.....I have one for home tools, why didn't I think of that? PBP lens carriers ... did I instantly bookmark their site, or what? Small portable coolers.....I need to visit a couple local stores.....and why didn't I think of that? Mountainsmith packing cubes.

Great stuff! Thanks much, BAB

I took my lenses on a shopping date to fit them for plastic freezer containers. I found them to fit lens+board. Then we went shopping for a cooler bag that would hold the plastic containers. Wally World, $12. Holds 3 lens containers. I can put those dry-in-the-oven silica gel canisters in the containers to control moisture. Works for my 120,210,240,300,360, and 19" lenses.

I actually found one container that would fit my 120 and 210 snugly together, and fit in the pocket of my Zone V! bag. Stellar!

You really have to take them along to make sure what you buy fits. Minimal rattling around, and all have lens caps. The board prevents anything banging the shutter, too.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com