Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Best value studio flash?

Re: Best value studio flash?

I've used Norman and Speedotron. I've never had a Speedo power pack arc or blow up like I have a Norman. So now all my studio gear is Speedotron Black Line. I would like it a lot better if the outfit was about 100lb lighter.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

I don't much care which brand it is, all I know is my Dynalites have never given me trouble, and the occasional maintenance bill is pretty low. I've worked with (other people's) Profotos a lot, and they do make Dynas feel pretty cheap, think 1977 Oldsmobile Cutlass vs 2006 Audi, but so far they've never let me down.

I know this thread is 4 years old, but I am now looking at the same issue. I am doing studio and on location large format portrait and my pair of Profoto E-600 light (*) (one with a 3 ft softbox) is only giving me at most F8 and often that is just not enough in terms of subject sharpness (people move, grrr....)

I am looking at the Paul Buff White Lighting X3200 which goes up to 1300 Ws. Will a single one with the softbox give enough light for at least F11, assuming reasonable subject distance (e.g. 6'-8')?

Thanks for advice.

(*) About 10 years ago, Profoto ran a Christmas special of packaging 2 600Ws lights and a pack for just $1000. I didn't know what a bargain I had until I inquired the price for a head ($800+) thinking about adding a 3rd light.

Ah, Paul Buff's site has a "expected output" calculator. The X3200 should work reasonably well enough...

http://paulcbuff.com/output.php

I have a couple of the X3200s that I've had for years and you can get far more light than F11. I assumed when I bought them I'd need far more power for large format (I was just starting to shoot 8x10), at say f22 or more, than
    the smaller units could provide. I've rarely needed quite that much power but I'll say I've never been lacking for power with an X3200.
    BTW, Paul Buff has the best repair and customer service policy on the planet. When the x 3200s came out I had also ordered a couple of x 2400s. Apparently
    there were parts supply issues with the x2400 and he called me and told me what was up, what my planned use was (power requirements) and just asked if
    he could send more x 3200s in their stead at the x2400 price. Can't beat that!
    --Joe Burke

Thanks Joseph. I will call them Monday. Sounds like it will work fine for my need! Here's one I wish I have more than F8 (for printing 17x22):

Scott Davis

That looks like it about hit the spot - I don't know that I'd want to stop down much past f8 - the background would start getting sharp at f16.