Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Silent cross country walking trip with a 4x5

Re: Silent cross country walking trip with a 4x5

Quote Originally Posted by gevalia View Post
    The degree from Yale is the tipoff.
    Really?! Do most Yale students traditionally do such incredible things, connect with people one-on-one across the country, photograph with LF, and all?! Maybe I should talk to my son who is thinking of going to Stanford or Harvard. If I can't afford to send him to Stanford, might as well not afford to send him to Yale!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by gevalia View Post
    The degree from Yale is the tipoff.
    why is this?

He's a young man gathering experience. That is never taught in any school. I'm glad he also has a good formal education.

I admire him.

This is pretty cool. I'm happy with my life at the moment, but there's something to be said for not having anything to tie you down. Don't forget, if he does have loans, those don't start into repayment until 6 months after graduation, and then you can use up to 3 years of deferment.
    I'm armed with a Wisner 4x5 Technical Field and a lot of hope. I got this. Oh, and my name's Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    The only people even crazier than he is, are those who donated money to him. What a *****ng waste -- for this he needs a degree from Yale?
    If more people maybe did this than had degrees, the world might be a better space.................its a bit like Helen Keller being asked what it was like to be blind...........the reply was, what was it like to be able to see but have no vision. If the cap fits..............

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Robertson View Post
    No, he isn't crazy. This is absolutely beautiful.
    It's perfectly possible he won't manage- accidents happen, we sometimes find ourselves weaker than we imagine, but he is planning to devote a year to testing himself. By the end he will know more about himself and his weaknesses than ever before. He might produce great photos, he might not, but that isn't really the point. Was there really a point to building the pyramids, or going to the moon? Is there really any 'point' to thousands of people running the London or New York marathons? The point is the experience itself, and I wish him well (even though my approval, and your disapproval probably mean nothing to him).
    'Well said................I think its beautiful too.................not a waste.....would love to do it but with the talking............and my 5 x 7

When I graduated from a prestigious college I had to go work immediately... My parents fit in the middle, "too much money" for substantial aid but not poor enough for the full ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    He's a young man gathering experience. That is never taught in any school. I'm glad he also has a good formal education.

I admire him.
    ditto
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

9 MONTH UPDATE - 3/4 of the way through the commitment to walk cross-country in silence with a 4x5 camera.

Currently, Greg is in Utah ... headed North to Salt Lake City ... having covered over 6300 miles ... he recently traversed the difficult West Rim Trail in Zion Natl. Park (with his cart ... not an easy trek) and visited Bryce Canyon ... he is headed North ... probably into Idaho, across Oregon to the coast and then down the coast to Los Angeles.

Greg is averaging 23 miles per day over the 9 month period ... that is almost a marathon per day. Amazing!

Here are a couple of photos ... first is a map showing his credit card purchase locations since July 9, 2013 through April 9, 2014.

And, second is a photo taken by some people who ran into Greg after he had crossed the West Rim Trail in Zion and who were so worried about the conditions he was walking into that they went back up to where they had met him at the 8000' level ... traveled in their car until it became impassible and then jogged out about 4 miles further until they ran out of light ... the photo shows the footprints and cart wheel tracks in the snow he had left from that point ... .

An amazing journey!
    Jim Cole
    Flagstaff, AZ