Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Your #1 tip that even grey-templed landscapers might adopt

Re: Your #1 tip that even grey-templed landscapers might adopt

Thanks, Tim. Missions are not my usual 'thing', but I was with a friend who wanted to photograph there, so I gave it a go. It must be almost 20 years since I have been there...does not seem that long ago, but my 5x7 was ripped off in 1995, so it was at least that long ago!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Out of Plumb

Check the weather before you go out and keep an eye on the skies. Around here in Texas "pop-up" thunderstorms can develop in a matter of minutes. If its a long hike or will be away from the car a long time be prepared. Water food and possibly an emergency blanket.
    Paul Ward

First real camera: Nikon F2, gift from gandfather (1980), still have and use it.
    Wista m45 4x5
    Calumet Green Monster
    Agfa 8x10 Field Camera

“A big negative is really a positive…”

The best time to do landscape photography is when nobody else is , , ,before sunrise, just before it rains, just after it has snowed and during dinnertime. I think this is the principle summed up by ". . .f-8 and BE there!"

Another principle is, when you see the scene take the shot. Whenever you get the chance to go beck, the windmill will be gone, the barn will be painted, the snow will have melted etc. Get the shot when you see it . . .then go back and work the scene for good clouds, slanting sunlight etc.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I was photographing in the redwoods and a herd of elk surrounded me as my exposure (many minutes) was happening. The ladies did not seem to mind me being there, so I completed the exposure. But I broke all records on taking the 8x10 down and getting it into my pack when the alpha male showed up and was not making happy sounds!

So my tip -- be aware of big animals with big pointy things on their heads!
    Hilarious Vaughn!

Reminds me of a time backpacking. We found (what we thought) was a great spot for the tent, on a little rise between a couple of trees with a nice little trail down to the brook for water and up the hill to the ridge for views. Little did we know that that trail was the "Elk Highway" and that we would be repeatedly awakened by startled elk encountering our tent, snorting and stamping in confusion and then finding a noisy, brush crashing way around us. We moved the tent the next day.

Best,

Doremus

I will second the Kako ICEtrekkers Diamond Grip Traction System. The metal at the toe prevents it from sliding back and loosening (unlike the various YakTrax models I've used). Also it has grippers at both the heel and the toe; when walking those are the first and last parts of your foot to touch the ground and you do not want to slip at those moments.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Falling over the tripod is a Bad Thing for the camera and yourself. I ended up in intensive care with a subdural hemorrhage this time last year from slipping on the ice, falling into the tripod. Wear these in the winter. [URL="http://www.potsdampublicmuseum.org/gallery/sub14/IMG_8807_cropped.JPG"] ...

Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    Hilarious Vaughn!

Reminds me of a time backpacking. We found (what we thought) was a great spot for the tent, on a little rise between a couple of trees with a nice little trail down to the brook for water and up the hill to the ridge for views. Little did we know that that trail was the "Elk Highway" and that we would be repeatedly awakened by startled elk encountering our tent, snorting and stamping in confusion and then finding a noisy, brush crashing way around us. We moved the tent the next day.

Best,

Doremus
    Some Ursine comments
    1. Years ago I heard of backpackers who set their tent up in the dark after a night hike in. When they crawled in the for the night they felt a warm soft spot underneath the tent. In the morning they discovered a thoughtful bear had unloaded a pile of you-know-what prior to their arrival.

2. On a backpack trip with an old friend to Tijera Peak in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains we noticed every other backpacker party had large caliber handguns in ready access holsters. We weren't equipped like that and wondered what was up. When we found a location for our tent, there were several piles of "it" scattered around the wooded area. We hardly got any sleep that night, every little noise kept us wide eyed awake.

Your #1 tip that even grey-templed landscapers might adopt

Quote Originally Posted by David Lobato View Post
    Some Ursine comments
    1. Years ago I heard of backpackers who set their tent up in the dark after a night hike in. When they crawled in the for the night they felt a warm soft spot underneath the tent. In the morning they discovered a thoughtful bear had unloaded a pile of you-know-what prior to their arrival. .
    In 1981 I rode my '56 Harley West with a few fellow bikers. At one point we rode the Interstate to exhaustion, pulled into a rest stop in the dark, chose an empty spot of grass, rolled our blankets and crashed into sleep.

When I awakened at sun-rise, groggy, still stupid, one eye opened, I saw me riding mates sitting several yards away laughing. I opens the other eye to see a sign pointing to my spot, PET RELIEF AREA.

Bikers, I tell ya.

I have five tips.

1. Always remember to take your tripod with you on a road trip.

2. Take along several cable releases as they seem to get lost.

3. Try to concentrate when you expose the negative and put the dark slide back. If you make a mistake, sacrifice a sheet of film, otherwise you may sacrifice two sheets and still lose the exposure.

4. Wear a shirt or jacket with many pockets and put stuff (exposure meter, viewer, etc.) in the pockets rather than on the ground.

5. Concentrate on your work, not on the curious folks who may be interested in your antiquated looking equipment.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Words of wisdom from real experience.

I would add 6) take twice as many loaded film holders as you think you will need: if you make a mistake or if the light is wonderful you will quickly run out of film otherwise. and 7) bring something to block the wind from your camera. I use a 24" white/silver light disk, which also is useful sometimes to reflect some light on close subjects. http://www.ebay.com/itm/60CM-5in1-24...-/310872358296
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

I get brightly colored cords and nylon line to use for lanyards. That makes it easier to find your light meter, loupe, or whatever else if it falls on the ground. I occasionally find camo covered items that someone else lost in the grass or weeds. Their loss is unfortunate.

Had a tripod bounce out of my pickup bed driving down from the Manti la Sal Mountains. Was almost back to Moab when I noticed. It was gone by the time I retraced my path back, but it turned out to be good luck in a twisted way. The tripod was poorly designed and the episode forced me to buy a far better one, and stow it more securely inside the truck.