Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Venice photography book

Venice photography book

Hi

I also recommand the book from Peter Gasser he worked with his heavy Sinar 8x10 there some years ago!

Venice photography book

One more tip:

The ferry that takes you in the Grand Canal and to the 3 islands travel 24 hours long so do take advantage of this to photograph places like San Marco at night.

Venice photography book

If by "the end of the summer" you mean August, be aware that that is the Italian vacation month, which can mean that things are closed in some cities and that others, primarily near the sea (so probably Lido di Venezia) are mobbed. I haven't been in Venice in August in a very long time, so I'm not sure how the city itself is in that month (high numbers of tourists may keep things open), but these are certainly issues elsewhere in Italy. The last time I was there was in the fall, and the place was, even in that season, very crowded. Also take lots of money, Venice is expensive.

My guess would be, however, that if you got out of the main tourist stream in the city and into some of the back piazze, the tourist crowds might be lesser. Also there are smaller places to visit like Chioggia--a neighboring island that is a mini-Venice--and you can hop on a train and be in Padua, Verona, and Vicenza, all of which have many things to photograph, in a very short time. (Many years ago I was a student in Padua at the university and would take the train to Venice frequently).

Venice photography book

Thank you for all the information. I think the Gasser book was one I had seen and had in my memory and is quite striking.

I looked at a presentation of the Butler work online and from what I saw, it seems quite cliched, both in style and content? Rather like the Arentz and Rosenstock work on Venice I was referred to as well. Very much "an American on the Grand Tour"

Somone also sent me a link to a project commissioned by the Comune di Venezia to photograph the broader Venice, including Maghera, Mestre, the Lido and so on. That was very interesting with work by John Gassage, Axel Hutte, Frank Gohlke, Lewis Baltz, Geoffrey James, Stephen Shore and several others. That was very useful, thanks. It certainly seemed to show there is more there is to Venice than gondolas and the grand canal, which appears to have been one reason behind the commission. There was also a separate book by John Gossage

By end of summer I mean September onwards (no Labor Day to end summer across here) - so some time in September onwards. I also know more than you would ever want to know about the high tides and flooding. It is the research project my husband is working on and why he is going there for three months. I am also somewhat used to working in Italy. I did some research a few years ago at the American Academy in Rome on early photographic depictions of Pompeii and tourism.

Venice photography book

"..... any good books of photography about Venice...."

Try: "Venice and the Veneto", photography by Sonja Bullaty and Angelo Lomeo, text by Sylvie Durastanti. ISBN 0-7892-0166-6. Published by Abbeville Press.

This book will show you the large divesity of photographs that are possible in Venice (and the Veneto). I would suggest that seeing and reading this book would make anyone interested in photography want to go to Venice with whatever format equipment they wish.

Blaine

Venice photography book

Regardless of what you do you will enjoy. One must be prepared to walk and I mean walk to get a good handle on the place. Lots of nooks and cranies with surprises around aimless cobled bends. The joint has a complex and interesting history and one would do oneself a favour to bone up on the place beforehand.

My wife and I were there during christmas, an intersting time just prior to the tourist season. We were spruked at the railway station and got jolly fine digs for a good price due to this lull. Early mornings aford a reletivly peacefull explore with the water born trades plying their intense boating skills during the morning melee. Quiet fog draped lanes etc. etc. are not just a cleche but a reality.

Beyond the immediate tourist jam one finds relative calm and there is (as of 2 years ago) unlimited tripod opportunities. just be sensible thats all. When after a week of constant walking and one seeks respite there is always the boat trips to Lido, Murano, Burano where emoltion is again gobbled up at alarming rates.

Reviewing your post you asked about Hassles? Problems? enjoyments? Well you will find the trains pretty darn full and one needs to fight for a bit of equipment space. Dont bother stealing a first class seat with out paying and don't forget to *validate* you pre bought rail ticket. Problems, none. Enjoyment, total. As was mentioned a few spare bob (money) wont go astray.

I felt security to be ok and unthreatening but then I didn't give them much of a chance.
    Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure... Life is either daring adventure or nothing: Helen Keller.

Venice photography book

You may want to have a look here:

http://doeringphoto.com/venice/venice.html

Venice photography book

Lucy, Venezia is a dying city. The only thing that keeps it afloat ( so to speak ) is turism. They will not bother you, in addition is true, as Ramin says, that they appreciate artists.
    I ,will be there in October, and yes i will bring with me rubber boots. Does anybody know of an inexpensive lodging ( yeah, right, in Venice... )?

Photo Dilettante Donald Brewster's Avatar

Venice photography book

The coolest photo book on Venice that I know of: Venice - Camera Obscura: Photographs with the Pinhole Camera, by Gunther Derleth. From a bookstore description:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Gunter Derleth wanders with his pinhole camera on literary paths through Venice. In the words of American documentary photographer Paul Liebhardt, "The result is this haunting volume that is evocative of the plots and subplots of Wender's films, the depth of Poe's words and the lyricism of Vivaldi's music." He captures not only Venice's carnival and grand canals, but that which is tied to dreams, recollections and mysteries. His ethereal b&w photography and quotations of famous authors form a unique portrait of this wonderful city.