Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Quality 4x5 and 5x7 Film Holders

Quality 4x5 and 5x7 Film Holders

So, my 2014 new years resolution is to minimize my gear and equipment but focus on quality (not quantity).

Can someone recommend the top two or three holder brands?

thanx much in advance.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: Quality 4x5 and 5x7 Film Holders

The only film holders I have ever "had a problem with" are wooden. All of the others of "plastic" manufacture, whether vintage Riteways or more modern Lisco/Fidelity, have worked well for me. The most important part is the condition of the individual holder. In good shape, you'll be good. In questionable shape, and you'll wonder if you are going to be good.

Read this if you haven't already: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/holders.html

Also, no matter the quality of the holder, no matter if new or used, no matter how well or poorly you treat them, be sure to keep careful field notes so you always know – even years down the road – which film sheets came from which holder and on which side.

Be a good detective before you have to be a good detective!

Well, in recent years Fidelity, Riteway, and Lisco were all made by the same company.

I've been told that Toyo are the best available. I have a couple dozen of them, and I believe they are.

My favorite holders are the latest Riteway, with the automatic slide lock.
    These have a feature than prints numbers outside the image border. Very handy.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

I have also heard that Toyo's are the best. I acquired a few mint ones with a used 4x5 camera purchase and kept them. They are pretty nice. I wish I had some of the 8x10 ones.

I have Toyo and Chamonix as my best holders.
    But I also have 40 or so old Riteway with the metal handle for traveling when loading film on the go is not really an option.
    Field # ShenHao XPO45 - Monorail # Sinar P, F2
    [CENTER]6x6 # Minolta 1965 Autocord, 6x9 # Kodak 1946 Medalist II

Toyo holders are the best 4x5s mechanically (Toyo never made 5x7s), but, if you purchase new or "newish," you'd better have a very poor sense of smell:

My very best 4x5 holders are the older style Riteways. Being a luddite, I don't think the new ones are nearly as good---too gimmicky for me.
    For 5x7 I'd look for Bacos(not the salad topping!) In fact, I am looking for 5x7 Bacos!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    My very best 4x5 holders are the older style Riteways. Being a luddite, I don't think the new ones are nearly as good---too gimmicky for me.
    The numeric imprint on the negatives is an integral aspect of my documentation.

Those correlate with my shooting notes without any possible error, as can occur with numbering only the storage sleeves.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Interesting to note that the link points out Grafmatics are best in 'T', perhaps a steel holder is simply easier to machine to size.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    The only film holders I have ever "had a problem with" are wooden. All of the others of "plastic" manufacture, whether vintage Riteways or more modern Lisco/Fidelity, have worked well for me. The most important part is the condition of the individual holder. In good shape, you'll be good. In questionable shape, and you'll wonder if you are going to be good.

Read this if you haven't already: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/holders.html