Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: More Than a Bit Disturbing..

Re: More Than a Bit Disturbing..

Yes, "What say you all to photo bigots." was the discussion that resulted in this thread. I had believed that this debate over photography is art has been put to rest a long time ago. To hear there are still "art folks" who reject the reality that photography is art upset me more than just a bit. This was a shock and real surprise to me.

It is indeed primal/instinctive for human beings to be tribal and it does apply to stuff far beyond art, where the challenge lies is if humanity can grow out of it's self destructive primal/instinctive impulses and see humanity share far more than what may be different.

Dividing the art world in to their individual tribes or most any group in the same way is destructive to the whole. It happens here quite often, yet the times when LFF comes together great thing can and does happen..

Peace & Luv..

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Leszek Vogt View Post
    You understood what I said, so I don't get why you need to be contrary....unless you have a position of word police ?
    I just fine the whole "I may not like it, but I still respect it" thing come up more and more in these topics in which people can get defensive about things and it just makes no sense. For example, I don't really like HDR, photoshopped works and other digital output and I don't respect it either.

So when Drew fired off a few blunt statements it got labled as hate and then you chimed in with this respect thing. To heck with that I say, no one has to respect what they don't like.

I just thought I would laugh out loud at it and make fun at how silly I think it sounds. I'm really not cut out for this Internet bull, if you could not already tell...

Drew Wiley

So ... is everyone who dislikes Strawberry ice cream a bigot?

Scott Davis

Only if they break up with you for eating it.

no one has to respect what they don't like.
    No but there's nothing wrong with thinking that either. These are two distinct POV. For example I don't like fashion photography but I respect the technique and effort that goes into it. On the other hand I neither like nor respect over the top HDR.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Limiting this observation to the arts is insufficient. It applies to every aspect of human activity/thought/interest.
    Yes, I agree 100%. I just didn't want my response to grow into a full-blown rant about civilization.

"Peace & Luv.."

I cannot respect the incorrect spelling of the word "love", especially when it is grouped with the word "peace". I am throughly enjoying this discussion though.

Drew Wiley

I have a great deal of respect for what certain advertising photographers can do technically and in the marketing sense. But I despise most of the imagery involved.
    This applies to my remarks about people like Avedon or Warhol. They were very bright, and in their term might have given a temporary degree of refreshment to the
    status quo, but set an unfortunate precedent which has de facto become the ossified Academy of our times. Even the long-canonized photographic gurus of days
    of yore, like AA and EW, made their living as commercial photographers. But they knew the difference between personal work and mercenary; and this difference is
    reflected in the value of the respective categories of work today - i.e., the extant commercial work has very limited value. Some people like Avedon had enough
    gall or elbow room to blur the line sucessfully. But now that muddy zone has become epidemic, esp with the instant-imagery made possible by digital technique.
    I give them credit - the 60's had its run, but now might as well be put to rest. The corpse is beginning to stink.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    So ... is everyone who dislikes Strawberry ice cream a bigot?
    Hope not, because it tastes great!

Art is the using of the gifts you have in the way they are meant to be expressed. And that expression blesses people. The camera and the brush are not the art, it is the mind and the heart that sees the potential and performs the execution according to the vision of it.