Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: New Cylindrical Mac Pro

Re: New Cylindrical Mac Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Ambrose View Post
    Oh yeah.....

For the time period that was FAST!!
    I still have a Mac IIci that I've been keeping (??) all these years. When they were the baddest Mac available they were outrageously expensive and much lusted after.
    My boss got me a Macintosh IIfxd when it was introduced. I was not terribly impressed, but considering how expensive it was I kept quiet.

Early Mac's never impressed me, expensive toys, and only in the last 5 years have I come to like Apple OS and hardware.

I remember rejecting the punch card computer we had in High School, in 1967 as a room sized joke, I could do calculations in my head faster than that monstrosity. It was an after hours computer club then, at a very exclusive High School, location classified.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    My boss got me a Macintosh IIfxd when it was introduced. I was not terribly impressed, but considering how expensive it was I kept quiet.
    Tin Can

Put a string on the end of it and go find a menstruating elephant.
    Eric Rose
    www.ericrose.com

I don't play the piano, I don't have a beard and I listen to AC/DC in the darkroom. I have no hope as a photographer.

Quote Originally Posted by struan gray View Post
    i'm going to sell little mary poppins figures to place on top. If she takes off, you're overdoing things. If not, she'll protect from coffee and other spills.

We may have to deck her out in matrix-style black leather for the target demographic though.
    You made my day

Preston Birdwell

For those who have legacy 1394a Firewire, or even the newer 1394b devices, the lack of support for these would certainly be a cause for concern.

My 2011 PC has on-board support for 1394a, but not for 1394b.

Not that I can afford it, or have a desire to switch to such as a beastie as the new Mac pro, but has anyone seen a street price for it?

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I remember rejecting the punch card computer we had in High School, in 1967 as a room sized joke, I could do calculations in my head faster than that monstrosity.
    In my previous job we had a couple of Asian Indian engineering students who did most arithmetic in their head. They carried a calculator only to show instructors that their figures were correct. They had learned Vedic mathematics in grade school. (No specific reference to the ancient Vedas is claimed..)

Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    When I learned the c language, I had an 8088 and a board of RAM with a disc controller so that to the system it looked like a 64 platter drive. Microsoft's entire c would fit on it. I thought I was in heaven.

oh i was talking ONLY about SSD storage Jac - not to see who could pee the furthest... yes i'm sure many of us had access to computing in some form all the way back to the sixties even...

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JW Dewdney View Post
    - not to see who could pee the furthest...
    I thought he was commenting about the ancient warm fuzzies we got way back when with so much less. I remember doing bitmaps by hand for my Commodore computer. (Started with a PET 2001, which was owned by a school.) I've been looking, and I think it'd be neat to upgrade my server computer with a dual-CPU Abu Dhabi set. 32 cores! Hoo-yah! The last time I saw a 32-core system was a HP Superdome, with 16 dual-core CPUs. (From 6502 to total mainframe under my desk. Yes!)
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

If I can suspend a ping pong ball in the exhaust of the fan, it's a must-have.

Really, the top-end iMac does all I need, so this thing would have to amaze me to justify itself.