Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: MOD54 film processing "report"

Re: MOD54 film processing "report"

Hi, how do you do your invertions? Seems like i'm doing it the wrong way . I changed my procedure after getting these streaks but the last sheets i developed still got streaking but minimal than the first sheets i made with the processor but still it's there. I'm doing invertion like i'm developing roll films the problem sometimes is that the sheets jumps out of its track . Just need to get rid of those streakings! I though the first time was that my films are xray fogged since i put it in my carry on luggage but now it seems the culprit is the processor. I might try tray processing if ever i get streakings again next time.

Quote Originally Posted by RHITMrB View Post
    I have an earlier-version MOD54. I did twizzle stick agitation at first and kept having problems with streaks in skies. I haven't had a problem since switching to inversion. I do make sure to do the inversions very, very slowly (180 degrees over the course of 4-5 seconds), which avoids the issue of the sheets jumping out of their tracks. As long as I'm consistent with my technique I get consistent results.

Quote Originally Posted by tenderobject View Post
    Hi, how do you do your invertions? Seems like i'm doing it the wrong way . I changed my procedure after getting these streaks but the last sheets i developed still got streaking but minimal than the first sheets i made with the processor but still it's there. I'm doing invertion like i'm developing roll films the problem sometimes is that the sheets jumps out of its track . Just need to get rid of those streakings! I though the first time was that my films are xray fogged since i put it in my carry on luggage but now it seems the culprit is the processor. I might try tray processing if ever i get streakings again next time.
    As I said, I invert very slowly - it takes me at least a few seconds to turn the whole thing. That avoids having the liquid in the tank slosh around too much, which is what pushes the film out of the tracks. Definitely more gentle than when I'm doing rollfilm.

I've done that but still got streaks. My last resort is to use dummy sheets. I'll update you guys in a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by RHITMrB View Post
    As I said, I invert very slowly - it takes me at least a few seconds to turn the whole thing. That avoids having the liquid in the tank slosh around too much, which is what pushes the film out of the tracks. Definitely more gentle than when I'm doing rollfilm.

I've done that but still got streaks. My last resort is to use dummy sheets. I'll update you guys in a few days.
    The mod54 already requires a LOT of chemistry and using dummy sheets makes it even more a wasteful of chemistry. There are other methods that will develop evenly that won't have sheets of film coming out of place, and that will use much less chemistry.
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
    Ansel Adams

If you require Jobo i don't think i could afford that right now.. So, my option is still mod54 i just need to get it right..

Quote Originally Posted by Light Guru View Post
    The mod54 already requires a LOT of chemistry and using dummy sheets makes it even more a wasteful of chemistry. There are other methods that will develop evenly that won't have sheets of film coming out of place, and that will use much less chemistry.

The mod54 already requires a LOT of chemistry and using dummy sheets makes it even more a wasteful of chemistry.
    to be fair - it requires no more chemistry than doing things in HP or Frank daylight tanks (ok in Frank you getting 12 sheets, so its a bit less waste).

However i did experiment yesterday with my method and 500ml vs usual 1000ml.. and.. it worked just fine

Simple things: pen and feathers by Sergei Rodionov, on Flickr

I mean i would still rather use real rotary tank and motobase, but i dont have it when i am in Russia and from experience - i am not bleedin' travelling with exposed film back Done that, ruined quite a lot of shots with scratches.

If you require Jobo i don't think i could afford that right now.. So, my option is still mod54 i just need to get it right..
    Mod54 and Jobo are NOT the only options.

I personally think tray developing is best, but you should also check out a unrolled drum and more raised base.
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
    Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by SergeiR View Post
    to be fair - it requires no more chemistry than doing things in HP or Frank daylight tanks (ok in Frank you getting 12 sheets, so its a bit less waste).
    I'm referring to tray rev elopement and rotary based development systems. They use much less chemistry.
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

Ansel Adams

Yeah, see.. i hate tray development And again - MOD54 + paterson are never been truly intended to be rotary system so you comparing apples and oranges. With tray - yes, you might get away with less, i guess.

I'm referring to tray rev elopement and rotary based development systems. They use much less chemistry.
    Chemicals are cheap and tray development doesn't suit everyone's environment. Luckily for me, it does.