I bought a new Gitzo 1570M tripod head (low profile 3-way pan head for large format cameras) and have found that even with my 14 pound 8x10 camera set-up two of the three axes are fairly stiff. That is, when I try to level the camera for example, fine movements are a bit difficult, as it moves in a jerky fashion.

I have called Bogen/Gitzo's service dept many times over the last week and have never gotten anybody to answer the phone. I've left a message and also emailed their service dept., but still no reply. I'm really ticked at their lack of availability/response at this point. Therefore I am asking for suggestions on this forum.

I suppose I could put some oil into the axes, but I'm concerned that it may make tightening up more difficult, or that it could collect dirt, or not mesh with the lubricant already there.

Maybe there's some type of adjustment I could do. I've have tried to adjust one of the screws on the long handle, and it might have helped a bit, but for the other axis I don't see anything that can be done.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you.