I've heard people talking about diffusion enlargers or enlarger heads and I'm not quite sure what model I would be looking for. My google searches haven't yielded any obvious answers and I would say I'm looking for education above something specific to shop for.

I currently have a Beseler 45MCRX I think it's called. I've used it for printing a little bit in a temporary bathroom darkroom and I think if I can find some quality lenses for it, I could get some great prints. I picked it up for $50 a few years back, but I've read that enlargers with a diffusion head aren't plagued as much by dust present during the drying time or during printing. Would it make any discernible difference if I placed a piece of frosted glass somewhere between the light source and the negative?

I've seen the inside of my enlarger and notice that it had a light bulb, and two pieces of glass that are a lens of sorts placed with the curved sides facing each other. How does the diffusion enlarger work? Are these just what are standard on color (dichroic?) heads? I don't think I'll be doing any color printing myself.

If I was going to look for a diffusion head, what might I look for to fit my Beseler? Would I need a whole new (to me) enlarger? What is in the model name that will signify that it's a diffusion style?

Thanks a lot!

Andrew