This past Saturday I had gone out early to use my 4x5 gear to do some images of some buildings sceduled for demolition in my area. After returning I removed my 4x5 case with two cameras and usual gear as well as my 35mm Nikon gear in its b ag. I left the objects sitting behind my car but in my open garage. I live in a very nice neighborhood, but when I went out 30 min later the gear was gone.

Miraculously, the police called me Wednesday morning to tell me the gear had bee n recovered at a pawnshop and identified becasue of hard to remove name and addr ess labeling on case, bag and cameras. Upon inspection the gear was not damaged , the perp desperate for cash traded $4000 worth of equipment for 50$.

Because the items were labeled, the police are able to match my theft with the p erson at the pawnshop and will be able prosecute if the thief is apprehended.

Moral: It doesn't matter if you are out of site of you gear in a supposed safe l ocation for even a few minutes, someone will probably see it as a soft target of opportunity. I just want to present this recent experience as a reminder to ma intain constant vigillence. I hope no one else here experiences the awful feeli ng that gear you had accumulated over the years is suddenly gone.