Thread: Best Used 4X5 Field Camera body for $1,000?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Best Used 4X5 Field Camera body for $1,000?

I thought it was better to start a new thread to narrow down the comments. I am interested in LF and would like to purchase my first 4X5. I would like to buy used equipment and hold the cost of the camera body around $1,000. I just purchased two EX+ used lenses; a 210mm f/5.6 APO Sironar-S and a 90mm f/4.5 Caltar-II N. I plan to use the camera for landscape, nature and architecture.

I am unfamiliar with LF and now know that I don’t know enough to select the correct camera body, but my budget allows me to spend around $1,000. I would like to limit my selection to used camera bodies in excellent shape that will hold their value. Some of the recommended bodies that fit within these parameters are the Arca Swiss Discovery and the Ebony RW45. Using this criteria, what camera bodies should I consider? Also, should I still consider a 5X7 if I already selected 210 and 90 lenses?

My original thread is available at:
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=47767

I ordered Jack Dykinga's Large Format Landscape Photography book and continue to read many of the resources available on this site.
    Last edited by timberline12k; 21-Apr-2009 at 09:01. Reason: 5X7 Question