The anti-reflection glass bed was only included with the more expensive EverSmart scanners (original EverSmart, Pro, ProII, Supreme and Select), not with the Jazz and Jazz+.

It is supposed to increase contrast in shadow detail, in the same way such a coating improves contrast on a lens.

Sandy King

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
My guess is it has a lot to do with the type of light source. My coolscan V has a very hard light source, and scanning medium and large-grained film with it leads to a significant coarsening of the grain. As a technical exercise, I tried wet-mounting with it, and this helped significantly, but with that scanner I couldn't find away to do this easily. (For the test, I cut down a negative and mounted it to a long thin plate from Focal Point.) These pro flatbeds tend to have a comparatively larger-sized light source.

The Cezanne scanning bed is a 6mm thick piece of what looks like acrylic with a _very_ fine anti-newton texture on it, much finer, for example, than that supplied with De Vere and Durst enlargers. I don't think it's anti-reflection coated, though.