Well, Brooks has weighed in this month (my LensWork just arrived) with his introduction to the LensWork Special Editions and unequivocally states that the digiprints with K3 inks are equal or better than gelatin silver.

The thing that bugs me is that one of the supposed benefits is that it's easier. Well, whoever said making art is easy?

It's easier to write a symphony using sampled instruments and a sequencer than it is to hire a whole orchestra and a hall and record it, but really, what is gained?

I'm not anti-digital at all, but process and craft is something that is important to me. I don't feel process when I print with the inkjet, not the way I do when I process a silver print and look at it in different kinds of light and then decide how I want to tone it, or when I make an argyrotype, working to make the enlarged negative, preparing the paper for coating, exposing it (in the sun, for chrissakes!), clearing, fixing, washing, drying, making notes and starting all over again.

Yeah, it can be frustrating, but when you reach your vision it is so, so satisfying, and the learning process and its knowledge is something you have with you for the rest of your life along with that satisfaction.

Ultimately, it's different strokes for everyone...I'm sure that the "new" gelatin silver crowd crowed about how their new process was sharper than pt/pd, had more resolution and was "easier and quicker" than the old stuff, too.