I know you can to relate to hiking a LF camera into the hinterlands only to sit for hours cussing the wind as the light fades away. I have paid some dues in 18+ years as a LF photographer. I know what I want in BW. But color? In a word - unsuccessful for me.

But you guys are creating some beautiful color images with digital technology. Enviously, I have been splashing around the digital tidal pools for quite a while, watching you mainstream digital artists with admiration. So, I am slowly wading in.

So far, I have acquired an Intel-Mac, Epson V700 scanner, and LightZone photo editing software. Its a start. I learn each before I purchase the next. This stuff stretches the old budget. But in truth, its been a blast!

My printing needs require only the Epson 3800. However, do you really think the pro model (colorburst RIP) is necessary? Considering the 3800 uses only pre-cut media and not roll. I am used to pre-cut paper in my darkroom anyway, and for now will stay with those sizes. If I am understanding RIP correctly is it primarily used for over-sized prints? Or is there another advantage I should consider?

My wife, a school teacher, is interested in the portrait model. Mostly for use with her school children. But the "Express Digital Darkroom" bundled with the Epson is Windows only. Any other portrait program like this out there? It looked really easy for her to use.

All of your contributions to this forum have been a tremendous resource for me and I am very grateful. Especially your opinions. I like the first hand candor put forth. Much better than the pasted magazine reviews I find on other forums.

Regards to all and
Thanks,

Herbert