Thread: Ouch! This hurts!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Ouch! This hurts!

About 2 weeks back it was widely discussed that Freestyle was having a really great sale on "short dated" Foma films. I bought some 5x7 Fomapan 100, and for the first time I also bought Fomapan 400, in 8x10 size to try (At $1.70 per sheet, I figured I could be more liberal with my film usage!) I've made a couple of photographs using the Fomapan 400 and I have been very pleasantly surprised by the results. It has a really beautiful tonal scale in a "Tri-X from decades ago" kind of way, and it handles very nicely in both PMK and 2-bath developer, but the surprise for me is how much better the results are when processing it in a 2-bath developer (in this case, Thornton's version of divided D-23): much better separation of values, especially in the high end, and significant suppression of grain. It also gives the impression of greater acutance.

Here is the Thornton processed photograph:
    (compare it with the PMK negative)

And here is a 100% magnification of the two negs for comparison:

The difference in the rendering of the high values, and the appearance of improved sharpness of the Thornton negative (thanks to the finer, less clumpy grain) is significant.

I know there are some who think Fomapan is a second-rate film, for novices and those restrained by budget concerns, but I'm really impressed by the 400 speed Fomapan and I plan to include it in my cache of films going forward, sale or no sale. But I am certainly glad I took advantage of the Freestyle sale - at $1.70 per 8x10 sheet, this feels like a real gift.

PS: I have two sheets waiting to be processed - one of which I will be developing in double strength PMK for Kallitype printing. I am hoping the Foma 400 is suitable for alt processes (not so much base density as to get in the way).
    Last edited by paulbarden; 13-Mar-2024 at 09:31.