In my need to constantly experiment I tried the same image with 3 different papers that I had on hand. It was an old log cabin in the woods so lots of middle tones, some blacks and dark tones, and very few light areas.

This was my method of working:
1) Ilford MGFB Classic Glossy = Generally the first paper I pull out to make a basic print - image was ok but did not have the warmth the subject required. Grade 2.7 23 seconds gave good separation in the darker mid tones and good blacks. I cropped the image to more of a pano format and the photo became more interesting. 7.5 x 13.5. Initially the 8x10 may have just felt too small.

2) Ilford MGFB Warmtone Semi-Mat - Took a few tries to dial in the exposure because this paper is slow. Much flatter and a little green - would have to be toned to a warm gray and the blacks are not really black at all. Grade 3.2 68.3 seconds. I diluted the ansco 130 down to 1:3 and developed for 4 minutes but it was identical to the 1:1 for 90 seconds.

3) Ilford MGFB Classic Mat - This paper gave me the look I was after for this image. Rich blacks, warmer appearance due to the mat finish and 1/6 stop difference changed the depth and tonality when wet, we'll see after it dries for a week. (my darkroom is at another location). Grade 3 25.6 or 28.3 seconds. 33seconds was too dark.

My enlarger has 1/10 grade calculations for Green and Blue light timing.

So it begs the questions:
1) Do you choose from a variety of papers for a given image for its characteristics, or do you usually print with the same paper for everything?
2) What are your top 1-3 papers and why?