Thread: 8x10 film dev - what do you use as a process?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: 8x10 film dev - what do you use as a process? 2024 update

Quote Originally Posted by Alan9940 View Post

I agree with you that the Jobo (if one can justify the expense and is willing to mount the learning curve) is the way to go for LF film. To date, no development technique I've ever tried provides as even development; though, the jury is still out with the Stearman SP-8x10 tank. I've only processed a few sheets in this tank, but I'm mightily impressed with what I've seen so far. Only thing there is that it's single sheet at a time.

Hello,
    I recently started with large format (i got a good deal on a chamonix 8x10) and developed my first sheets with tray development (rodinal, normal agitation, results OK, as expected). I also shoot MF B&W.

Is in 2024 the stearman SP 8x10 the rational way to go for daylight development if you start from scratch?

I have acces to a darkroom at an art school, but want to get organised for development at home. Loading and changing film in the dark is no problem, but for development i will need a daylight development tank or tube.

I don’t shoot much sheet film. 1 sheet at a time is OK for me. The jobo expert drum and processors are probably to much (cost and storage).

I did some searching on this forum and in summary these seem the options for daylight development:
    - Stearman SP8x10 tank: No complaints? Or no final conclusion?
    - Cibachrome ii paper drum
    - Jobo 2800 paper drum
    - Other tubes
    -…

I don’t have a conclusion on the paper drums (uneven development? ribs needed to allow fluid go behind the film?…), and table top rolling without a motorised roller is probably not ideal.

The price of the stearman tank is in the range of a used jobo paper drum. The cibachrome ii seems to be not that common in Europe. The ilford paper drum is easy to find, but i have no idea if this tank is suitable for sheet film and what the results are.

What is the best option to start with the right tool? Given the learning curve, i would like to play safe in the choice of this development tool.

Regards
    Steven
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4E109AC6-6974-49FC-A69B-6CC2DEAFC8D1.jpg