Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
I'm with Alan K...in that I keep good quality (Pentax 20" cloth covered) cable releases on my four most-used LF lenses. Helps to prevent wear on those sockets, and also compensates for the age-related wear on my brain...which leads to things like forgetting my cable releases!

And yes...quality control of cable releases is all over the map! They either don't fit properly and/or they seem to spring apart at the most inconvenient times. I'd gotten a recommendation a few years back to look into the Pentax cloth releases (I prefer the cloth releases for their suppleness)...and I'm glad I did!
You just reminded me why I did that. I too would take the camera with lens mounted from the car to the spot to shoot only realizing I forgot the cable release left in the camera case and have to walk back to the car. That's why I added them to all my lenses. They still unscrew and get loose if I don't tighten them right. I'm using these Gepe 20" cloth type. I can wind them around the lens when I store the lens back into the camera case.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...e_Release.html