Not knowing the exact location and a sketchy description, we took a hike in search of the Winchell Cove Cemetery somewhere on a point overlooking Winchell Cove Marina at Millerton Lake.
This was our second attempt---on the first try Google Maps put us on the wrong road which took us close by a native Tribal cemetery which is definitely off limits. The Winchell Cove cemetery was the reinternment of the graves in cemetery at the old county seat of Millerton, which was covered by Millerton Lake when Friant Dam on the San Joaquin River was constructed between 1937 and 1942. Millerton was a pretty rough town with a Fort, riverboat terminus, mining, cattle ranches, lots of saloons and a courthouse. It was also the trailhead for the French Trail which served to supply the mines at Mammoth on the other side of the Sierra via mule train.
In the 1980s an Eagle Scout project mapped out the graves and apparently restored the wrought iron gate which helps locating where the heck the cemetery is among the oaks and chaparral.
I took my 35mm (it's a scouting adventure after all) but I'll definitely return with my LF being a steep, but not terrible long hike from where we parked.
It was great to get out during the 'rona lockdown and we had the place all to ourselves.

It's fun to scout out locations.
Is anyone else spending the 'rona doing a little location scouting close to home?