I recently acquired a remarkably clean gray B&J 8x10 flatbed with geared focusing.
I noticed that while focusing the rear standard I can feel each gear tooth increment as I extend or retract the standard. It even make an audible clicking sound as you focus. I't not difficult to focus... the knob turns easily. It's just that I'm not sure if this is normal for this model. I'd really rather a smoother focusing action. Anyone else have this clicky feel and sound from the track teeth?

Before responding, please note that, yes, both sides of the pinion are perfectly aligned on the bed tracks. I've removed and replaced the standard from the track a number of times, assuring the exact left and right placement is correct on the gear tracks.

My feeling is that there is just a bit too much pressure pushing the pinion down on to the track teeth. Is there a way to release some of that pressure? Upon inspection, I see a pressure spring on each side that causes downward pressure of the pinion, but I do not see any facility to adjust it.