I've been taking large format pictures for about two months now, using a DIY 4X5. At this point, I've shot and scanned 80 sheets or so, still very much on the steep slope of the learning curve.

A persistent issue has been focus a little softer than I'd like. I think my skills are getting better, but it still seems no matter how well I think I've nailed the focus, the scanned negative is still kind of soft. The other day, I took a picture including a road sign with text near the limit of what I can resolve with my loupe (11x). I focused carefully until I could see the smallest line of text. On a light table, using the same loupe, the text was as clear on the negative as what I saw on the GG.

Scanned on an Epson V700 with stock film holders, Epson software, 3200 dpi 16 bit grayscale, and the results were like this (100% crop):

Again, on the negative all the text on the road signs is readable—on the scan, only the largest text is. Therefore, I assume I'm getting the focus right in camera, and this is an issue with the scanner.

Unfortunately, the scanner isn't mine, so I don't have the ability to do maintenance, repair, or purchase aftermarket film holders. My question is, if I purchase a scanner in the future, say a V850, and use aftermarket holders, can I expect significantly better results? Or is this par for the course with prosumer scanners?

Second question: I'm seeing dust and lint fibers on the image, some white, some black. Which are from dust/lint on the negative, and which are from dust/lint on or in the scanner? I know I can do a better job keeping dust out of my film holders and off the negatives when developing, but I'd like to know how much of this is a scanner issue.

Any advice is much appreciated, as is patience with my beginner questions.