I am looking for a tripod and San Diego has a very limited selection. I would very much appreciate rcommendations. I presently have a Gitzo and a Majestic. I love the Majestic and the head, but it is often heavier than I would like. I mostly hate the Gitzo because of the twist locks. And the model I have has limited, fixed leg spread (it is older than some of you). The twist locks hurt my hands - I just returned from Bryce Canyon (below freezing) and especially in the cold twist locks are an abomination.

What I am looking for is a tripod that is appropriate for my Manfrotto geared head and a 3 to 6 pound camera. It should have locks on the legs that are like 'flip' locks, or a twist knob or some such. Also an elevator for fine height adjustment, and variable leg spread ability as does the Majestic.

All in all the tripod should weigh I suppose 4 to 6 pounds. Berlebach (from the pictures) looks nice but no elevator (how does anyone adjust camera height without an elevator?) so wood is not out of the question (in the cold it would be far superior to aluminum) .

I will most likely have to purchase by mail so looking at catalogs is all I can do - a trip to LA is possible but who knows what Samy will have at a given time. E-Bay would be best (where to look for tripods?)

This is too long a post, but on the other hand I think there must be many of you in similar straits - tripods don't seem to be reviewd and described much in the press (only the latest digital offerings) - and they aren't very exciting - no resolution numbers or MTF charts.

I know many of you have lots of experience with tripods and will be helpful. I am eagerly anticipating responses!