I've been thinking allot recently about my career.

Based on some responses (both on line and email) to recent PR postings of mine, that I have "arrived", I wonder how people would measure that. I know for myself that I do not feel like I have "arrived" even though I have achieved many of the career goals (that were my measurements) I set for myself when I got serious about photography in 1970. None of my goals were ever related to commercial photography, that was always something I did just to pay the bills and that has far exceeded my wildest expectations. Nor were these goals about the internal developement or maturity of my art aesthetic, that is another issue. My goals always were about public career milestones for my artwork. As an example two of those were: teaching at The Art Institute of Chicago (which I have done fro the past 8 summers) and having a solo exhibit at the Museum of Modern Art (which is not even vaguely on the far distant horizon). There were many more, some I have achieved and many I have not. I don't mean this perhaps as crass as it might sound. All serious artists must manage their public careers as well as making art. I know at age 55 if I died tomorrow, I would be very satisfied with what I have accomplished, and maybe that is ultimately all that matters.

I have no idea how he views this. An example to me of someone on this forum who has "arrived" is Chris Jordon. If you look at the international shows and print media credits from the last few years on his resume you see some stunninh accomplishments.

How do you measure having "arrived".