I just received a Kodak X-omat 2000A Processor. It looks like a giant laser printer and you put exposed x-ray film in one end and a few minutes later a developed, fixed, washed, and dried x-ray comes out the other end. I'd like to misuse this thing to process x-ray film for photographic purposes. I know that, processed as intended, x-ray film is way too high contrast. I've seen some great results here from x-ray film with reduced development to reduce the contrast and Dmax of the film into something usable for images. As it stands, this appears to have a fixed time and temperature for the whole machine. The development time is quite short: the whole process takes just 157 seconds or 118 seconds (depending on which gear the processor is in) but the temperature is quite high (33.3 or 34.3 C, depending on gear). I assume this implies they're using a high-activity developer to get the job done that fast. Would switching to a photographic developer like XTOL likely act in the correct direction to reduce contrast? Does anyone know of a way to abuse the control system to get it to either slow down or run colder (or both)?

Any tips you guys might have would be awesome as being able to machine process up to 14x17" x-ray film would be wonderful.