I am considering paying for the manufacturing of 1000mm rear element lens for the Nikkor T-ED 600/800/1200mm convertible lens. My motivation is because of the 400mm jump from the 800mm rear element to 1200mm rear element. I have had many occasions where I could have used a 1000mm rear element lens.

Initially, I started out by looking for the Schneider Tele-Xena 1000mm lens on eBay and other places for that past eight years. I have not found one yet.

The initial cost for design and tooling would be around $35,000 which is not cheap. There may be ways to drive down the cost, but its still going to be expensive. I am interested in seeing if people who own the 1200mm lens set would be interested in purchasing a 1000mm rear element. The price could range from $800 to $1000, but that is just a guess. It could be cheaper or it could be more depending on how many elements I make.

The f-stop scale would be printed on a laminated pocket card and would not be a full f-stop difference. It would be more like a 1/3 or 2/3 stop increase or decrease form the adjacent scales of the 800mm or 1200mm scale depending on which scale you are referencing.

So, for those you who own the Nikkor T-ED 600/800/1200 lens set, would you be interested in purchasing a 1000mm rear element?

This is not a commitment to make a purchase, but rather an attempt to see what interest people have for such a rear element.