My current tripod for use with 11x14 and larger is a Ries. Very nice to use in the field. In the studio there must be a better way. Many years ago I worked in a studio that specialized in shooting what was termed ad slicks for RCA. The images were of TV sets shot against a painted wall. The sets were shot on a 16x20 Deardorff with an 8x10 reducing back. We used a pin system to double expose a Kodalith mask for double exposing simulated images on the screen. Essential to the use of such a camera was the studio support. The cameras were on a stand with two large supporting rails that held a very large wooden bed where the camera would be bolted down. The support system was called a “dog house” although I have no idea why. The same type of stand is in use by Timothy Greenfield Sanders supporting an 11x14.

There were times when the studio11x4 Deardorff went on location. The tripod used was a Davis & Sanford. That was one amazing tripod. So now in this day what are the options available? I need a tripod that has a geared center column and can support 25-35 pounds. The tripod can be new or used. Any suggestions?

-Bruce