Looking for feedback, advice, two cents etc. etc. I’m not big into DIY but I’ve cobbled together a couple of glass/registration negative carriers which work perfectly, despite being on the ugly side. I’m now looking into another glass carrier project. Forget about Newton rings etc. Off topic in this case.

I want to use coated optical glass. In the past I worked with Schneider on this. I ended up with some MRC filter glass (from B+W) filters for a 35mm carrier. For 4x5, had to go with single coated filter glass from their MPTV division.

I might simply go with Schneider’s stuff again, but I am exploring a few other options due to curiosity. I’d like multi-coated glass if possible. I first contacted Zeiss asking if I could get some T* coated flats. They wouldn’t entertain such a small order, but pointed me to some other companies that might. One of these is QIOPTIC. There are some others such as Edmund, PGO.

Anyone have any experience with glass? I can’t order directly from Schott, but I assume if a company specifically lists N-BK7 they are using Schott.

Seems like what I’m looking for are typically called “optical windows”, which are high quality borosilicate crown glasses, only flat instead of shaped into a lens element. These are not always made in the thickness you want. I need 1mm and 2mm. Then of course you usually have to choose a coating.

I think I am totally out of my league when it comes to dealing directly with this type of supplier. That is why I would much rather if a photo company like Rodenstock or Nikon would just sell me a custom cut piece of whatever they put in their clear filters. Is that possible? Schneider was relatively easy to work with but the MPTV filters are single coated.

Just thinking out loud. Appreciate any thoughts or experiences. Drew Wiley? Others?

Michael