Quote Originally Posted by Grumium View Post
Ryan, sourcing from the US might not be as attractive as you think (75-50% cheaper). Please find an example below:

Kodak TMY 8x10 box of 10 sheet

B&H
USD 105
= 93 EUR
+ VAT (+19% Germany*) =
= 110 EUR
+ Shipping (USD 40 = 35 EUR)
+ VAT on Shipping (= 42 EUR)
= 152 EUR for one box
= 1142 EUR for 10 boxes

CALUMET Germany (Link)
No stock. Delivery time: 5-7 working days. As I said, quantity shouldn't be a problem.
135 EUR
= including tax
= including shipment
= 135 EUR for one box (11% cheaper)
= 1350 EUR for 10 boxes (15% more expensive)

* VAT in Belgium is 21%

If you go for Ilford films you would save roughly 50% over Kodak.

I do not know how things changed in terms of security checks/scans for shipped goods after the terrorist attacks. I would be very careful, in particular regarding Belgium. Saving a few bucks might not pay out in the long run (risk of fogged negatives).

If you want to source your film in the US, ship it to EU and get European VAT refunded after return, IMO you need to do it on your own. You do not need the embassy or other others - google for ATA Carnet, etc. This might help: http://www.atacarnet.com/what-carnet
Sorry I did make a typo of sorts I meant to phrase that as save quarter to half the cost. I only shoot tri-x and as best I can tell calumet does not stock it. But you have to understand, I fly 6000 miles, to get there and find out my film is delayed becuase there vendor does not have it is not an option. I wont buy from someone who has not have it in hand. I'm not worried about shipping and bomb scanning, I have been shipping film with DHL and Fedex for years with zero issues. Film is not the only item that cant be bomb scanned, you just have to make sure your box and shipping docs have it marked no-xray.

Anyway if I have to pay VAT to bring it into the country regardless thats just what I have to do. I appreciate the help but just hoping someone has gone thru this themselves. There are details in it im not sure about and could have issues. For example in getting the refund unlike normal I wont have the film with me, I will ship it back before I even fly home. I will have documents but no product. Will the documents I get from DHL cover what I need still, do I need to ask for something extra. I can ask an embassy some details, I can call DHL but none of these are going to give me the practical whole picture. But again I can't be the first person who has done this so hopefully someone who has gone thru this might know.