I'm wondering if high end photography and that which actually takes a lot of effort/thought (i.e. LF ) - can be anything other than a hobby for anyone not already shooting 'week in week out' as their job?

by that I mean, a new photographer without any existing clients or sales, being able to make a living from shooting landscapes/travel etc
I already have a successful current career, not in Photography, but if I were ever to change to try something else full time it would have to be something special (plus I have kids and a mortgage that need feeding)

are there markets out there for photographers who dont want to shoot weddings or products anymore?

I know certain photography employment has vanished (news being one) but I've heard some ad agencies wanting their stuff shifted back onto film rather than shot digitally - but that's for medium format most likely (and probably just hipsters in the ad agency trying to be retro)

just curious

edit: I should clarify; I use the word 'pro' to mean someone who has the majority of their income generated from their photography - not someone who has sold a couple of stock photos in the last 5 years.