I know this is a really subjective question, and a bit foolish in a way, but I'l l ask anyway.

I'm going to get into LF photography and want to plan what lenses I want to get to have a reasonable setup. I'm not sure how many lenses I should plan to own. I 'm more used to owning zooms in 35mm, so I'm not particularly attached to any pa rticular focal lengths, but I guess I might find zoom withdrawal disturbing.

Anyway, I'm thinking that a 4 lens setup might be what to aim for. After all I d o 35mm photography too and there is a limit to how much gear to carry around.

I definitely want to get the 45mm Super Angulon XL because I love my 17mm lens f or 135. I love w-i-d-e lenses. From then on, I'm not sure. I figure I should pro bably get a "normal" 150mm lens. And then something longer - 300mm perhaps? And something in between the 47 and 150 - maybe a 90mm would give me an fairly even distribution of focal lengths. Being scientific I figure the 90 is 1.9x the 47, the 150 is 1.7x the 90 and the 500 is 2x the 150mm, with seems a reasonable appr oach.

I want to shoot various subjects, but including a lot of landscape. So how does it sound - a 47, 90, 150, 300 setup? Are there too many gaps, or is that a reaso nable setup? I would probably find that a too restrictive set of gaps on 35mm fo rmat but I guess 4x5 being a more slow and considered style the gaps would be le ss troublesome.

What are other people's favourite set of focal lengths to use?