Thread: Filter size - 19" Red Dot Artar

Filter size - 19" Red Dot Artar

Hello all,

Quick question... does anybody know the filter size for a 19" Red Dot Artar?

And, lens cap size?

And, what are you using for a lens shade?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Re: Filter size - 19" Red Dot Artar

See this thread.
    Amund

A puzzlement. Goerz listed the "Lens Outside Diameter" as 61mm, but the one I have measures almost 63mm and the "Made in Germany" lenscap I have for it is a 63mm and fits snugly. Front and rear are the same size.

I measure the inside of the filter threads (using a cheap plastic slide caliper which is the only tool my shaky old hands let get close to glass) I get right on 2 5/16" or 58.45mm. This would put the filter size at 59 or 60mm, but don't quote me.

Sorry I can't give a more definite answer. Apparently Goerz, like so many other makers, reserved the right to make changes in specification without notice.

Thanks Amund, Ernest...

I love the precision of these lenses!

So, it sounds like a machinist is the only way to go to get anything precisely made for these lenses.

Sounds like major buckeroos!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

You might spend less by getting yourself a compendium lenshade that mounts to the camera instead of the lens. You might have to pay someone to make an adapter to fit your camera(s), but I think it would be a better solution to your need. The Calumet is a pretty good one and they show up on eBay. It has a slot for filters. It's at its best with long lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernest Purdum View Post
    You might spend less by getting yourself a compendium lenshade that mounts to the camera instead of the lens. You might have to pay someone to make an adapter to fit your camera(s), but I think it would be a better solution to your need. The Calumet is a pretty good one and they show up on eBay. It has a slot for filters. It's at its best with long lenses.
    Hi Ernest,

Thanks for the suggestion... makes good sense to me.

I hadn't given much thought to a Calumet unit but I was thinking of the Lee unit, which also takes filters.

Thanks again.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

It takes awhile to find the larger ones, but a series slip-on adapter is what I'd like to get for my 19" Artar. The larger sizes show up infrequently but they're out there (I have these on my 12" Dagor & 14" Artar) once you get one of these babies there seems to be no end to what you can hang out there up in front of your lens!

Cheers!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Capocheny,

I had S.K.Grimes make one for my 12" Gold Dot dagor and it also perfectly fits my 19" Red Dot Artar.

The adapter was about $125 IIRC, but I did get a "twofer".

If you have a screw-in adapter made to fit a standard filter (mine are 77mm), a regular generic rubber lenshood works fine if you don't want to use your hand, hat, darkslide, or Lee compendium.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hamley View Post
    Capocheny,

I had S.K.Grimes make one for my 12" Gold Dot dagor and it also perfectly fits my 19" Red Dot Artar.

The adapter was about $125 IIRC, but I did get a "twofer".

If you have a screw-in adapter made to fit a standard filter (mine are 77mm), a regular generic rubber lenshood works fine if you don't want to use your hand, hat, darkslide, or Lee compendium.

Steve

Thanks John, Steve...

I stopped off down at one of the camera stores this afternoon and ordered a Lee lens shade with filter slots for the lens. Not the least expensive method to go with but at least I'll have something that works.

Man, those shades are expensive!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Lee makes a set of 100mm filters that fit into a holder that will fit just about any lens. A pair of elastic covered springs on the filter holder snap around the lens barrel and you slide the filters into the holder. There is a B&W set with holder for around sixty bucks and you can add other filters as well.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!