Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 8x10 Burke and James View Camera, advice

8x10 Burke and James View Camera, advice

I just acquired a B&J 8x10, it has a 4x5 sliding back on it. No 8x10 GG, or film holders, or lens. It has been stored in a garage for years. I checked the bellows with a flashlight and found no leaks, there is gaffers tape on every corner. Question is, is it worth finding GG, back, lens, film holders...etc, to get it up and working? It has all movements, front and back. It is rather crude, old, and needs a little TLC(soap, water and lubrication), but it all works and is solid. Now what should I do with it. I do not have the intention of ever having a 8x10 enlarger, but contact prints of that caliber sure would be nice. But is it worth the cost to revamp this one? What would be the cost?
    Thanks, Bill

Re: 8x10 Burke and James View Camera, advice

You might find that replacing individual parts cost about the same as would the camera.
    Still, if you're interested in trying 8x10, you should go for it.
    A number of Chinese manufacturers have become prominent on eBay, selling their bellows, ground glass, etc.
    It might be worth a look to try and price what you need before committing to a full restoration.

As you probably know already, everything with 8x10 is more expensive than with 4x5.

At least it should have a long bellows in relation to that 4x5 back. That might make it worth while for a few applications like macro photography. If you are handy with tools, an 8x10 back shouldn't be difficult to make. The same for a GG. For pinhole photography, forget the back and GG, and bungee cord a film holder in place.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

The B&J 8x10 is a great camera to use, though it's not a collector's item. It may look crude and clunky, but it's very utilitarian; it's very stable and strongly built, and it handles movements better than many cameras in the "cult" status ranks. It's also one of the easiest cameras to work on or restore, thanks to it's simplicity. Watch ebay for an 8x10 back that fits.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Once in a while an 8x10 back (with ground glass) will sell for $100 or so here or ebay. You're gonna have to get film holders and lens for any 8x10 setup except perhaps pinhole. Sometimes old cameras come with a packard shutter in the front because the seller thinks it's part of the camera, in whice case you'd be able to use $100 barrel lenses like a 100yo tessar or the wollaston meniscus. Otherwise shuttered lenses for 8x10 start at $350-400.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill, 70's military B&W View Post
    I just acquired a B&J 8x10, it has a 4x5 sliding back on it. No 8x10 GG, or film holders, or lens. It has been stored in a garage for years. I checked the bellows with a flashlight and found no leaks, there is gaffers tape on every corner. Question is, is it worth finding GG, back, lens, film holders...etc, to get it up and working? It has all movements, front and back. It is rather crude, old, and needs a little TLC(soap, water and lubrication), but it all works and is solid. Now what should I do with it. I do not have the intention of ever having a 8x10 enlarger, but contact prints of that caliber sure would be nice. But is it worth the cost to revamp this one? What would be the cost?
    Thanks, Bill
    I started with something worse than that. Did not cost much to fix it up.
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...10-Restoration

Many of us restore cameras that look total basket cases at ver little cost. My current project is a TP Ruby reflex and it was as bad as described by the ebay seller, if not worse as the mirror box and camera body were cracked, but then it was dirt cheap (£20/$31) The most expensive part of this particular restoration is a new front surface mirror £16/$25, followed by the fabric to recover the camera and the new shutter curtains less thann £5/$8. This a big restoration but inexpensive.

Some of those Burke & James camears look much nicer when they've lost the battleship grey paint.

There's plent of info on this website and if ypu place wanted adverts for missing parts here or on APUG there's some very helpful people around. You might look at this page (on this website).

Ian

Bill,

Check your PM In-Box.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

B&J is a perfectly usable camera. 8x10 Backs come and go on ebay and you might even find them at places like MidWest Photo or Equinox or Photo-Graphic Systems. You can probably find some vintage glass such as a Turner Riech for not too much money, or if you happen on a 240 G Claron barrel lens for cheap you can put it in a shutter yourself. The 240 G Claron is a very useful lens on an 8x10. Fillm holders have become kind of pricey laley, but I've seen some listened in the for sale section that seem to be reasonably priced. If you're on a budget check out Arista.edu Ultra or even( cheaper) x-ray film. You will need a pretty substantial tripod for it however.
    The biggest danger is that 8x10 will spoil you. Really.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I'm not afraid of making a back for it, but first I've got to know, does the film holder slide in the same way on 8x10 as it does on 4x5? If so then I'll need to have everything at the same distance from the lens. I'll probably need special springs to hold the back on and allow it to accept the film holder. Right now the 4x5 does not seem to fit light tight. It's like some parts are missing. I'll have to research it.