Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Light Impressions problems

Re: Light Impressions problems

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin J. Kolosky View Post
    ...I wasn't "blaming" anyone. Rather I was suggesting a possible cause for their troubles...
    Yeah, and the woman who dresses provocatively is a possible cause for rape. NOT!!

If Light Impressions' business was bad, it could have closed its doors and/or declared bankruptcy. Not string customers out for years with fully paid items on backorder. Not continue to take orders for items it hasn't got in stock and has no idea whether it will ever get in stock. Not promise refunds that don't materialize for many, many months. No, Light Impressions' "troubles" are entirely of its own making. And its behavior, in my opinion, is criminal.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

I think you are both right. The difference, though, is that some have lost money already... and those of us who haven't are able to look at the situation a little more clinically.

Same experience with LI here too, ordered stuff, waited a couple of weeks....then months, wrote to them(no reply) called and was informed that all the items I ordered were on 6 months back-order. They hadn't told me this when I ordered and had charged my card. Yep, the same story as everyone else.

Got the CC Co to get my funds back and bought from a different Co. LI 'should' have told me the items were on backorder and not charged the card till they were but they didn't. If LI has capital problems they should fix it but not on my back or anyone elses, hopefully they'll be out of business so they can't rip anyone else off.

A company that always has a huge amount of back order is often a sign that they are having issues with their suppliers and might be on a cash only basis with them.

Quote Originally Posted by CP Goerz View Post
    LI 'should' have told me the items were on backorder and not charged the card till they were but they didn't.
    This is the critical factor IM[-H]O.

All companies experience backorders at some point, sometimes their fault, sometimes the fault of the suppliers.

But there's no excuse for charging a CC before the product ships. Reputable companies don't do that. Thieves do.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Kevin Kolosky

The only way this would be "thievery" would be if their intent was to take your money and never provide you with your order.
    Again, I doubt that is their intent.

Most credit card issuers have policies against charging a credit card before the product ships. So while perhaps not thievery, it is a violation of policy.

But, also, what we have here is a clear pattern of taking payment for orders that are not shipped for months. That is, at best, unethical unless it is made clear to the purchaser that the product is not available to ship, and an expected ship date is provided. Charging a credit card, not notifying the customer of the backorder and expected ship date, and waiting months to ship is just plain wrong. Especially when it is the rule and not the exception.

The only way this would be "thievery" would be if their intent was to take your money and never provide you with your order.
    That appears to be the case with every poster in this thread and numerous other threads on other forums around the web.
    Do a Google search for this subject over the last couple of years.
    Complaints have been made to the California consumer protection agency, with no effect.

The standard story is:
    1) Placed an order and they charged the CC immediately.
    2) No product or communication for ___ months.
    3) No response to letters or emails, except to say "products are on backorder".
    4) Refunds promised but never sent (with a couple of exceptions).
    5) Refunds obtained through resort to CC issuer, if at all. Many rejected due to long delay before claim was filed.

With regard to (3)...
    No company has every item on every order backordered. The world doesn't work that way. It's a lie.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

This from the BBB (where Light Impressions has a a rating of "F") in June 2011: http://www.bbb.org/us/article/centur...bb-warns-27877

"On Friday, an official representing Century Photo and Light Impressions told the BBB the businesses were aware of the problems, claiming they resulted from disputes with vendors. He said he also was aware that the businesses were violating the Federal Trade Commission’s Mail Order Rule and said they will begin either shipping orders or refunding all customers. "

This same behavior was first reported here in 2006. So they have been doing this for 5 years, and they know they are violating policy (in addition to FTC, both VISA and MasterCard have a policy against this practice).

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Again, I doubt that is their intent.
    You have a very kind soul, Kevin... but you may be too kind at the moment. At some point one has to admit that behavior like this is not well-intentioned.