Thread: More adventures in large format

More adventures in large format

This is more of a comment than a question, but I thought I'd pass on a recent incident while shooting. In general, when I'm shooting outdoors, I leave my camera (Toyo 45AX) on the tripod which I sling over my shoulder while moving about from one location to another. A few years back I thought this cost me a scratch from a tree branch on the front element of a Nikkor 75mm but luckily it wiped clean. Three weeks ago while shooting in the Kootenays I slipped on an icy river surface and fell down nice and hard. My Toyo hit the ice and bent the focus rod connecting the 2 focus knobs. Luckily that was all. I'm actually impressed with the strength of the camera as there is no other damage and nothing is out of alignment. Unfortunately for me, I fractured my left femur just below the hip and had to drag myself along the ice and up a hill back to the road where I got help. I'm out of commission for at least 8 weeks. How do others feel about keeping the camera on the tripod? I'm thinking from now on I'll probably remove it from the tripod when moving about, but then again, old habits die hard.... And I probably won't venture onto the ice again. Without crampons. And a cel phone. Happy shooting all.

Ouch! After several near mishaps with a tripod and camera over my shoulder, I came to the conclusion that the only way I will use this technique is if I am shooting in the spring/summer (no snow or ice on the ground) and where I am on flat ground and there is no chance to take a header. It really does not take me long to fold up a camera and put away a lens and stow it in my backpack.

There is nothing quite as nice as having another shooter along with you when the possibility of getting your vehicle stuck or tripping (easy to do when you are checking for composition more than you are watching the ground below you). I also keep a Motorola walkie talkie with me because being out of cell range, some of these units are reasonable priced and reception under optimal conditions can be good for nearly three miles. I will take advantage of every opportunity as when you are in trouble, there is no amount of money you would part with to extricate yourself from the condition.

A while back when out shooting with my friend Pete, we were driving down a back road in the middle of nowhere when we came across a guy that literally walked out of the woods in front of us and was frantically waving his hands for us to stop. He said that he was scouting a hunting area and he and his buddy got lost big time. It was nearly dark and he was at least two miles from his truck. But his problem was that he did not know what direction on the road was his truck. Fortunately, we were able to drive him to his vehicle and he was very appreciative. My point in bringing this up is that sometomes we walk a fine line between a pleasant shooting experience and a dangerous situation. Weather can quickly change for the worse or as unfortunate as David's experience, you could be in a remote area and be immobilized with a fracture and you are in a heep of trouble.

Here is to a quick recovery Dave! Cheers.

Any time the activity I'm doing takes me into fast-moving water or onto/into ice, it is my rule of thumb (and commitment to my wife) that I go with a buddy. This goes for fly-fishing, duck hunting, or the occasional winter photo shooting. Wading across a heavy current is much easier side-by-side with a fishing partner, and its nice to have a friend drive home while you wrap up in a blanket after going too deep for your waders when duck hunting in icy water. The same would be true, I think, if I were to fall while shooting-- a scenario which I had never envisioned, but is now quite real to me. I hope you don't mind if I learn off of your experience, Dave.

I'm OK with keeping the camera on the tripod when the weather is good and the footing secure, but I stow everything in my pack and use a hiking stick for better balance when I'm on slick stuff. The cell phone is almost a requirment when I'm out in the boonies, but then again there are lots of areas around here w/o cell coverage. I'd also consider carrying a GPS receiver, both so you can tell them where to send the helicopter and so you can find the spot again. Probably the best idea is to take a buddy along, besides he/she can help schlep the stuff... Sorry to hear about your leg, glad you made it out; it could have been much worse. Hope all heals well.

The Kootenay? In BC, Canada?? Whilst there did you spot any of those infamous Sasquatch fleeing the authorities with a 12 pack of Kokanee beer under its arm?

I will remain a wild man, recklessly toting my camera over the shoulder on the tripod. All I do is put on the lens cap and take off the cable. I do far more dangerous things in my daily life, like riding a track bike across downtown San Francisco twice a day. The zero-risk life is not for me! ... ;-)

I usually stow the camera back in the pack because, with my luck, the quick release plate on the head will choose that exact moment to pop free or something stupid like that. I just can't afford to replace any broken gear.

Hope the leg heals fast and that you get back to shooting soon. Stories such as yours always make me run down my mental checklist of stuff I always need to keep in my pack. Basic backpacking stuff, like a compass, one more bottle of water than I think I'll need, a couple of powerbars, a big trashbag that I can convert into a poncho and protect my camera bag if it rains or snows, etc.

Plus, if the camera is stowed, it'll be easier to run from the aforementioned sasquatch with the 12-pack, though I just might take my chances with him if he was carrying Sam Adams instead...

I always hear people talking about walking with their cameras on the tripods over their shoulders, but never actually did so. Well, one day I've got my new (to me) Pentax 645 on the tripod, and I decide I want to move about 15 feet over, so I bring the legs in, lay it over my shoulder, turn to walk and listen to the crunching noise as my newest aquisition falls six feet to the ground made-up of nice rounded riverstones.

At that moment I decided I would _never_ leave a camera on a pod and move with it again.

For the record: That Pentax is built line a tank, hardly a scratch and has kept right on since then.

Hmmm.....That blows. Sorry to hear it. I have never fealt safe leaving the camera on the tripod. SOunds like the Toyo might be the camera for this here klutz-when and if he can afford another someday. I assume you hauled the camera with you right? DId you at least get a good shot you can put on the wall for war story starters?

May the recovery be faster than 8 weeks

Ouch! Dave, get well soon! I have had some mishaps too, but nothing in regard. My Linhof got caught in a branch and the focussing hood tore apart. Another time, the quick fix was not set properly and the same camera fell on the paved road from above my shoulder. The binocular viewer saved the camera at it's own expense. I have now a security cord and shackle from the head to the camera. I walk with the camera on the shoulder when the ground is safe, but I am very cautious and often pack it when it is slippery or when I walk in thick vegetation (the cable releases seem to always get caught somewhere). When I am alone in the mountains, I rely on my cell phone whenever services are available. I often thought of what misery would an injury be when I am a few hours from the car... I should check if that survival blanket (is that how it translates?) is still somewhere in my photo pack! And maybe, buy a whistle.