Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: hand held 4x5 camera

Re: hand held 4x5 camera

Have you seen this thread. You might find it interesting. http://www.largeformatphotography.in...st-4x5-P-amp-S

I tried using a 4x5 SLR for portraiture hand held and found some unexpected shortcomings in its operation. Aside from mirror slap causing shake at low speeds, I found the biggest problem was that eye contact with the subject was lost when firing the shutter, so if somebody blinks, I am unaware. The noise of the camera is also prohibitive in certain venues if you wish to remain anonymous. I had trouble with flash sync too, due to the focal plane shutter's limitations and found that even with a relatively fast f4.5 lens, the image was still quite dim, making focus difficult in low light.
    A field camera or view camera requires a tripod, so that's a big restriction if spontaneity is what you're out to achieve, because the time spent focusing, then inserting a film holder means the moment is gone.
    With my rangefinder, none of the above problems occur. There's no loss of contact with the subject, no problem with flash sync, no vibration when firing the shutter and almost zero noise. Lens speed or aperture setting does not affect the ability to focus in low light and the huge single window viewfinder with parallax correction simply outperforms everything else I've tried.

GF.

The latest 4x5 rangefinder with dual focus is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqV7AF-nFQM
    It's amazing.

GF.

Quote Originally Posted by anglophone1 View Post
    First time I've heard of these, google gave me http://www.retiredcameras.com/printex.html to look at.
    Interesting! Clearly as you say bombproof.
    Bet it's hard to find a decent one though.....
    Outside of the US...I imagine that they would be very difficult to locate. Even in the US they are relatively uncommon (the 2x3 versions turn up more frequently than the 4x5 versions). I think the rarity is due to the fact that other than a smattering of adds in the back of vintage photo mags they were primarily marketed to police departments and other agencies (for crime scene investigations and mugshots - Printex even had optional dedicated attachments available for photographing fingerprints). If police departments were the primary buyer I'd guess than not many were made, and of those, it is probable that very few made their way to civilian hands.

That being said, when they do sell they are not very expensive (They are an incredible bargain when you consider how much other "point and shoot" 4x5 cameras go for). Unlike the one pictured on the website you mentioned most Printex cameras do have coupled rangefinders attached. Due to the rangefinder focusing, well place focusing knobs, and non-folding design they are pretty fast to shoot with. The major problems I have encountered on second hand units (not that I am an expert - I've only handled 3 of them) have been paint flaking, corrosion, seized internal focusing rails, and dim rangefinders. The rangefinders supplied with the camera were the common side mounted models (Kalart and Hugo Meyer) so any issues can be dealt with by refurbishing or picking up a spare off of ebay. The corrosion is usually just a cosmetic issue and the seized rails can be dealt with by stripping the camera down and lubing the rail.

A couple years late - I have several Printex cameras, four of them being 4x5, one highly modified to use a 3" Biogon.

The major virtue is their light weight. dap's comments are right-on. The focusing gear is soft and the first thing to give trouble.

It is an excellent camera to use with infrared due to the all metal construction.

i use Graflex, but you better get used to the lenses if you want ot use the range finders. Personally i use the the Crown with the top range finder. I use the Optar 135mm wich is ok but have the 135mm Nikkor for the really sharp stuff i need. The Nikkor does not "calibrate" with the range finders so i use like a view camera. I rarely us the range finder anyway, i use "zone focus" on the distance scale. The range finder is accurate but hard to see through. I tried a Wista range finder 4x5 but was much to heavy.... The graflex is also very cheap and plentiful ....

The only problem with using a graflex 4x5 is the inconsistency of what you are going to get. Over the years there has been a mix and match of parts lenses ect.... The picture shows the focus scales for the different lenses.. For the 135mm there can be 20 different scales... of crap!!! I have to had to setup my own distance scale for each one of the Graflexs i use... My secret weapon is a Stanley Fat Max measuring laser..... The rangefinder has to be tuned for the particular lens installed on the camera which i do not use much.

I just had a question about how to setup the focus screen and there are several ways to do this depending on the part number of the particular casting. I have become some what of a Graflex 4x5 expert ..just to use the camera.

If you can find a Graflex that has been setup by the factory ...you have found a jewel...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grafscalst.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	90130
    Last edited by photobymike; 25-Feb-2013 at 11:35.

check out what I just got

someone added short bellows focusing to a Cambo PassPortrait body - it has a coupled range/viewfinder from a polaroid that sort of works and a 127mm lens

I am going to yank the rangefinder deal off a big shot and put it on instead I think

handheld / 4x5 / cool

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cambo.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	90129

That is downright cool, DrTang!

LF nub

Lol awesome Dr Tang!