Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Humor in Phography?

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Re: Humor in Phography?

Quote Originally Posted by percepts View Post
    For me the humour in this image was that the fireman is more interested in pumpkins than saving someones house. As a real situation that is pretty sick but funny. When you find out the fire is a training exercise it loses that real humour
    I don't think so. One of the greatest sources of humor in photography is apparent juxtapositions, coincidences, convergences that are created by the camera ... by it's ability to create a new context for objects and events. Very often there's nothing remarkable going on at all, if you remove the constrictions of the photographic frame and the context it imposes.

Sternfeld's picture works on two levels: as a classical but bold use of color and form, and as a joke. The joke is the image ... the suggestion ... of the fireman who wandered away from the emergency to buy pumpkins. Without having known the back story, I still suspected that there was more to this than what met the eye. I didn't really think that sternfeld had been camped there when a random fire broke out and a firefighter lost his marbles. What was funny is the suggestion, and the peculiarity of the scene. And that's all still funny to me.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Quote Originally Posted by percepts View Post
    For me the humour in this image was that the fireman is more interested in pumpkins than saving someones house. As a real situation that is pretty sick but funny. When you find out the fire is a training exercise it loses that real humour
    I don't think so. One of the greatest sources of humor in photography is apparent juxtapositions, coincidences, convergences that are created by the camera ... by it's ability to create a new context for objects and events. Very often there's nothing remarkable going on at all, if you remove the constrictions of the photographic frame and the context it imposes.

Sternfeld's picture works on two levels: as a classical but bold use of color and form, and as a joke. The joke is the image ... the suggestion ... of the fireman who wandered away from the emergency to buy pumpkins. Without having known the back story, I still suspected that there was more to this than what met the eye. I didn't really think that sternfeld had been camped there when a random fire broke out and a firefighter lost his marbles. What was funny is the suggestion, and the peculiarity of the scene. And that's all still funny to me.

just came across this. I suppose the humour doesn't exist without the title.

http://moonhead.blogtog.com/archives...5744791/276415

I think the fireman photo is more good photograph than humorous
    It's not THAT funny ..especially after the first couple looks. I think it has a certain dull American for cheap laughs appeal
    I think you have to be easily entertained if that makes you burst out -even on the inside- every time you see it
    You have to know it's not real
    Like a one-liner ..without any creativity in its telling it becomes plain not funny in its tiredness
    Is the comedians joke funny or is it the way he performs the joke
    usually a mix of both
    Often a retelling by your coworker just aint got it

To me if it makes you think there HAS TO BE MORE TO IT THAN THIS ..it loses comedic value.
    8x10 being used makes me chuckle no more
    I don't care if Jay Leno uses a bullhorn to deliver his monologue
    Doesn't really matter how its said if the joke isn't funny even IF the bullhorn IS the joke

Maltete is always funny. You can just accept it. Fireman you're constantly asking WHAT?

just reading through here

How is a football game staged? ..in the way it provides moments for great photographs

I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post

I'll put it another way. I'm disappointed to find that the fireman hasn't lost his marbles...