As I’ve been getting back into using my 11x14 camera, I’m thinking that I’d like to do some close up work…with the camera in a more or less straight down orientation.

But from where I sit (or stand), there are three potential issues which can be encountered while tilting such a large(ish) camera forward to vertical - one being that the balance of the camera/tripod setup can become tenuous, another being that, depending upon actual film plane to subject distance, the act of viewing and focusing can become untenable without some form of stand/ladder/foot-stool or other device with which to elevate one high enough for such viewing…and third, that large format film sheets (ULF in particular) have a tendency to bow forward (downward) when placed in such an orientation.

My thought about mitigating such potential issues would be to construct a simple, right angle “mirror box,” consisting of a front surfaced mirror (such as I believe is available at Edmund Scientific) set at a 45 degree angle within a box with two openings - one which fits over the lens, and the other which would be facing down towards the subject, while the camera itself remains in a more balanced, less risky horizontal orientation.

At any rate, I’m just wondering if anyone else here has actually tried doing this, and if so - what have been your experiences in using such a setup? Pros? Cons? Etc.? Also…any hints/ideas about design, construction, and finding further resources for such an accessory would be most appreciated!