Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: bellows extension factor - getting the hang of it - any suggestions : )!!! ??

bellows extension factor - getting the hang of it - any suggestions : )!!! ??

Hi,

How are you guys doing? I hope doing very well : )!!!

I have used more a 75mm. lens. than another longer lens that
    I also use sometimes. The other lens is a 135mm. lens

The 75mm. - I should perhaps be a bit embarrassed to say - is shot like a
    point and shoot camera. I mean, I frame for and focus usually at a
    distance of at least eighteen feet, and onwards, just depending on
    what is photographed. (That is some six meters and onwards, and I
    rarely frame or focus any shorter). My diafragm is set between f/11
    and f/32, but recalling, I usually use it at f/16. Shutter speed is of 1/60tth
    of a second or slower, depending on light conditions.

The 135mm., when used, is also used with the same characteristics as above,
    more or less.

It is done in a way that both focal lenghts and the camera are used,
    as I mentioned, almost like a point and shoot camera.

My negatives have come out ok. after developing. With more practice,
    they can be better, I think, but are ok for the most part.

Being the photos framed and focused under the circumstances commented
    above, the compensation needed, as you can see, is not much. I mean,
    compared to wanting to shoot a 210mm. or 240mm. lens focused at
    nine feet, (or some three meters), the compensation needed would be greater
    for those longer focal lengths.

I like the way John A. Cook explains and uses the 'bellows extension factor'
    method, here explained, (please scroll down once you have entered the link,
    and please look for his name):
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...ws-factor.html

The thing that for me stills feels a bit awkward is the fact that if I want to photograph
    any longer focal length focused at shorter distances like three, six, or nine feet,
    it can not yet be that easily done for me, like a point and shoot. Unless one uses
    a flexometer or meausuring tape, one can not know how much to compensate.

It takes time and it can be boring part of the process. How did you get the hang of it?

It's ok if there are no 'shortcuts' to it. It is perhaps the 'inertia' down in me that kind of
    comes back to me, and wants to inhabit me, and wants it to be easy-peasy in this sense,
    like 35mm. and medium format where these steps are (almost) inexistent.

Thank you in advance, very kind regards!

Ig : )!!!

Re: bellows extension factor - getting the hang of it - any suggestions : )!!! ??

The only short-cut I know of is to do the calculations ahead of time. For you, this is easy with two lenses. Figure out how much extension creates how much exposure change for each lens. Then transfer this exposure information to a tape measure or to the camera itself. This will depend on your camera. You can stick/etch/write/paint marks on your camera bed or rail for +1/2f, +1f, etc. A lot of people do this when they only use one or two lenses. Many 35mm bellows (that are designed for a specific lens) and macro lenses have the exposure compensation etched into the rail of the bellows or barrel of the macro lens -- (below is a Minolta bellows for example). You can do the same sort of thing.

Then, after you focus, look at your marks to see if adjustment needs to be made.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bellexprail.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	244821

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Re: bellows extension factor - getting the hang of it - any suggestions : )!!! ??

There is no such thing as "bellows extension factor". All those calculations are just a work-around for not being able to figure out your f/stop at any focusing distance other than infinity.

It's all in the word "f/stop". "f" is your focal length, from lens to ground glass. "stop" is the diameter of your aperture opening. Divide "f" by "stop" and that's your "f/stop".

Say you have an 8-inch lens with a 2-inch aperture opening. At infinity you have 8 inches of bellows draw. 8/2 = 4, so you're shooting at f/4. Focus a little closer and you have 10 inches of bellows draw. 10/2 = 5, so you're shooting at f/5. Focus closer still and you have 12 inches of bellows draw. 12/2 = 6, so you're shooting at f/6.

I don't know why people make it so complex...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    ....... I don't know why people make it so complex...
    This is one of the best threads on exposure compensation for close focus work but much of it can be arithmetically challenging in countries that don't have inches and vulgar fractions of inches. That is nearly everybody except the good ol' USA. We who have only millimetres, and the metric camera and lens makers, are condemned to calculations that can look like numerical alphabet soup.
    What's a 37.5mm entrance pupil in a 210mm lens? Answer: 5.6 of course but it didn't come as easy as Mark Sawyer's clear and instructive example of a 2 inch aperture in an 8 inch lens being f4.
    Thank goodness I don't use my Wollensak 6 1/4 inch f9.5 lens with its aperture size of 21/32 inches for close-ups. But this fine thread shows me how to do it if I must.
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".

I use a sewing tape measure to measure the distance from the film plane to the lens center. Convert the lens focal length and prior measurement to the closet f-stops and the difference is your exposure adjustment. For example, let's say you have a 150mm lens that's racked out 14". Convert the lens to f/8 (yeah. I know it's roughly a 6-inch lens), convert the measurement to f/16 and you're looking at +2 stops more exposure needed. This method certainly isn't exact, but it's close enough and easy.

I have absolutely no idea what the actual maximum diameter is of any of my lenses is -- in mm or inches. I know I could figure it out, but I just have a ruler (the length of my bellows) marked with a line for each of my lenses, and the amount of compensation that I need to make according to the amount of extension. If you only use one lens, you can mark it on your camera in some way. If you use two lenses, mark one on one side, and the other on the opposite side.
    Last edited by xkaes; 18-Dec-2023 at 19:10.

Hello,

Thank you for your very nice answers to my message : )!!!

Please allow me a bit of time to write back to you properly.

I am also still 'digesting' some of the technical information
    you have given me. I find it fascinating.

Thank you very much again!

Very kind regards,

Ig : )!!!

P.S. Thank you to the moderator for having placed this forum question in the correct subforum, that is this one.
    Last edited by Ig Nacio; 5-Mar-2024 at 13:05.

Try the Reciprocity Timer app on your smartphone to determine your bellows extension factors and/or film reciprocity factors - 'easy peezy....
    ... JMOwens (Mt. Pleasant, Wisc. USA)

"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." ...Michelangelo

Try creating this simple disk that will tell you what factor to use.
    https://www.salzgeber.at/disc/manual.html

One thing I like about this QUICK DISC is that it doesn't mess with magnification formulas, or INCHES (instead of mm), or knowing the physical diameter of each of my lenses. It just uses the two things you need that are easy to know -- focal length of the lens & amount of extension.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	formala.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	9.1 KB 
ID:	244896