Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Tools: Cheap and disposable vs. the best you can find/afford?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Tools: Cheap and disposable vs. the best you can find/afford?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lewin View Post
    In general I'm in the "buy the best you can afford" school, because well-made equipment is more fun to use, and more likely to satisfy your requirements. However LF cameras are a bit different, since they are all compromises of a sort. Almost all LF cameras optimize one characteristic over another: they may have more movements, or longer/interchangeable bellows allowing for a greater variety of focal length lenses, but then they may be heavier or less "packable." Unless you know in advance which features mean the most to you, it is difficult to define "best."

My first LF camera was a Sinar F, the most transportable in the Sinar line, and one of their least expensive models. (Aside, Sinars are Swiss-made precision cameras, the equal of their Swiss cousins, the Arca-Swiss; you are incorrect to assume a quality difference between the two brands.) The Sinar excelled in flexibility: it was a monorail with generous movements everywhere, and part of the Sinar system which meant that with all parts interchangeable, it could be modified to do anything. But it was not the lightest of field cameras, and not very easy to pack compactly. An excellent camera, but not the best for the backpacking and field use I enjoyed most.

My second was a Wista wooden field (actually one of the early ZoneVI cameras with the strengthened base plate). It was light, easy to fold and put in a backpack, but limited in its movements and not as rigid as the Sinar. Neither of these was a show-stopper, but with a fixed bellows it was limited in terms of either very short lenses, or longer ones. I enjoyed using it, but was aware of its limitations.

Ultimately I traded both in and got a Canham DLC (upgraded to a ^2 model later) which is a metal folder with interchangeable bellows. It is lighter than the Sinar, heavier than the Wista, with flexibility in-between the two. It is my favored compromise, and handles both my Schneider 80mm and my Fujinon 300mm, my personal extremes. It is precision-made out of alloy, but is somewhat idiosyncratic in design; I love mine, but some dislike theirs.

I use my history to show how "best" and "highest quality" are somewhat independent. In terms of sheer engineering quality, I would place the Sinars, Arcas,and Linhofs at the top, but you still have all the trade-offs to work through. And you may well find that a Wista, a Canham, a Chamonix or other is the best fit for your needs. So to go full-circle (and end this post!) I would still go for the highest-quality enlarger you can afford, or tripod, or any other equipment where the design doesn't have to include the variety of compromises as LF cameras. But for cameras, there is no way that I'm aware of of knowing what you really want without some experience.
    You do know that Arca has been French for several Years and that Sinaris now owned by Leica?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    You do know that Arca has been French for several Years and that Sinaris now owned by Leica?
    Bob, I'm aware that Sinar is owned by Leica, but thought the digital LF cameras (which is all I'm aware of them manufacturing any more) were still made in Switzerland? Same for Area-Swiss, the ownership may be French (I did not know that one) but is the manufacturing still done in Switzerland? And while you are keeping me up-to-date, is Broncolor (which used to be part of Sinar) still Swiss, and also owned by Leica?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lewin View Post
    Bob, I'm aware that Sinar is owned by Leica, but thought the digital LF cameras (which is all I'm aware of them manufacturing any more) were still made in Switzerland? Same for Area-Swiss, the ownership may be French (I did not know that one) but is the manufacturing still done in Switzerland? And while you are keeping me up-to-date, is Broncolor (which used to be part of Sinar) still Swiss, and also owned by Leica?
    Peter, yes, Sinar is still made in Switzerland. Arca is made in France. Broncolor is still Swiss and was never part of Sinar.

Originally Sinar, in the U.S., was imported by Paillard who were in Lower Linden, NJ. Paillard also distributed other high end, primarily Swiss cameras, like Bolex, and Hermès office machines.
    At the same time EPOI distributed Plaubel LF cameras.

Then EPOI became the Sinar distributor and dropped Plaubel. They also became the Broncolor distributor which had been distributed by Interstate, the Miranda distributor in the U.S.

They also had an informal arrangement with Foba and fairly quietly sold Foba.

As EPOI was about to close Sinar, Broncolor and Foba formed a new importing and distributing company in Edison, NJ called Sinar Bron as they both had an interest financially. So both factories owned the U.S. company. But Sinar and Bron and Foba were always separate companies. And that should also explain why Leica didn’t end up owning all 3 companies but only Sinar who had bounced around between a few companies, including their Swiss distributor, before Leica finally became the current owner.

It should be obvious there is no correct answer.

I have all sorts of hobby items I purchased and never used because "you can't do without this". I also have a number of beginner models items I wore out and no longer use and a few I use quite often.

You move up to the tools you really need.

Born L.A.-NYC is 2nd Home-Rustbelt is Home Base

OP, I like the best tools available, but my budget wont allow for it. So I use what I can afford that will get the job done in a fashion that will still be acceptable. If it produces results that I am ashamed of signing my name to, then I will pass on it.

Arca-Swiss

Bob,
    I just returned from 2 weeks at the Arca-Swiss factory in France. The tools issue is problem as the really good tools are hard to find. Many of the screwdrivers for instance now are only offered with plastic handles and are still somewhat expensive. Finding the great tools from the 1970-80s or earlier, is a real trial.
    I hope you are well.
    Rod
    Rod Klukas
    US Representative
    Arca-Swiss USA
    480-755-3364
    www.arca-swiss-usa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Klukas View Post
    Bob,
    I just returned from 2 weeks at the Arca-Swiss factory in France. The tools issue is problem as the really good tools are hard to find. Many of the screwdrivers for instance now are only offered with plastic handles and are still somewhat expensive. Finding the great tools from the 1970-80s or earlier, is a real trial.
    I hope you are well.
    Rod
    Which Bob?

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Klukas View Post
    Bob,
    I hope you are well.
    Rod
    I have two old, old-school machinist friends who boot-strapped their careers by making their own tools. What they can show are museums of over fifty years each of precious work.

I was a toolmaker in aerospace for forty years. What I had in my toolbox were a assortment of grades. There were common grade tools that I replaced a few times during my career. There were common tools that I replaced with premium grade if the common grade failed or I needed to have ultimate dependability and couldn't have failure. I had tools that were lower grade, the tools that I could modify. I could grind, weld or bend without feeling guilty that I created a one time use tool. And my precision tools, my gold standard, all treated with special care most purchased and some my design and faberication. I had duplicated some for convenience, or to have different qualities for different applications. The user needs to access the application and make a informed decision. IMHO.

Michael

Fully agree Michael. As a professional automotive engine tester for a Tier One supplier to the Big 3, I often had to make or modify tools to work on advanced engines where no tools, manuals or factory support existed.

Heat, bend, hack, saw, grind and weld a tool for the job at hand. Actually my favorite thing. As night foreman with a crew of 5 we always surprised day shift with our very out of the box results.

Our team, 3 shifts, innovated ways to accelerate engine life testing. We spent millions on deep chill capacity and built the first system of the kind. We taught Ford. We also built all control and data collection systems in house. Everything was in one large building. R&D, production, sales and warehouse.

Then the Lab became obsolete and unwanted in a suburb. The factory still churns.

R&D spent 10 years designing our Shanghai replacement. I asked to be transfered to China, but was discarded as too old, 10 years ago.

Now I enjoy early retirement!

FTW
    Tin Can