My wife has decided that this year's summer vacation will be to go out and check on our 20 yr. old son in Redmond, WA. He got a job programming some game called "Minecraft" and I moved him out there a month ago. Anyway, the trip involves driving across SD, WY, MT, ID, WA, OR, UT, NE. An epic road trip! The only northwestern state we're missing is North Dakota. The fact we're driving and there's only two of us means I can bring a lot of crap along! So, I'm taking my Chamonix 045n, a bag full of holders loaded with FP4 & Efke 25, and a few lenses. I've been reading up on Stanley Morrow and FJ Haynes (bought several books about them,) and they are my heroes! They were Dakota photographers who, like me, just liked to roam around the Northern Plains taking photos. I really like their photos and have a nice collection of their original stereoviews. So, on this trip I'm going to shoot in some the same places--Custer Battlefield, Multnomah Falls, Missoula, etc. I'm trying to figure out what lenses they used. I think FJ Haynes used rapid rectilinears for most of his work, usually shooting on a 5x8 Scovill stereo set up. There is a museum in Montana that has his camera gear. I'd like to go see it but I can't figure out which museum it is. Have not found any reference to lenses used by Morrow, but I'm going to assume he mostly used RR lenses too. He took photos of the Custer Battlefield in 1879.

I only have one RR lens suitable for 4x5, a 90mm E&HT Anthony with wheel stop, mounted in Copal 1. I thought I'd also bring an 1851 CC Harrison Petzval 5 inch as it can be used on the 4x5 and also has a Nikon F mount for use on my Nikon D800E. I might also take my 1858 Derogy Petzval 6 inch. The Petzvals give a very nice rendering and can be converted to landscape doublets. I wish I had something a little closer to what Haynes & Morrow would have used, such as a rectilinear with a slot, but haven't yet got around to buying something like that. I also have a 10 stop ND so I can shoot the Petzvals without a shutter. Not sure if I'm going to get any good shots, but I think I'll have fun trying! My wife doesn't have a very positive attitude towards the 4x5, historic lenses, and b&w film. She just rolls her eyes while I'm trying to compose and focus, and keeps asking if I'm also going to take the shot with my "real" camera. I'm thinking that with some thought, I do have a chance to make some pretty compelling photos though!

Kent in SD